LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OPC UA connection problem

I have a problem connecting to an OPC UA server. I used the simplest version of NIs Example here

https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371618J-01/lvmve/establishing_connection_btwn_opcua_svr_cln...

but no matter what I do i get the error

-356653 The status of the OPC UA server is uncertain. 

I have tried setting the "trust all servers" to true, i have tried providing certificates... nothing works. Other software such as UA expert connects instantaneously without any issues. How hard can it be?

Message 1 of 15
(4,879 Views)

We have the same problem here connecting to a B&R plc.

We tried different settings for authorization in combination with provided certificates, but this does not work at all.

Connection with UA expert works fine.

@bfelber: have you solved the problem in the meantime?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(4,680 Views)

Yes, we solved it by using the hostname "br-automation" - or whatever hostname is configured in automation studio - instead of the ip address. Just add the plc's ip to your host file in the system32/drivers/etc folder. With this workaround you should be able to connect to your B&R plc. I hope this will work out for you as well.

Message 3 of 15
(4,665 Views)

Works perfectly, thank you very much!

For everybody else encountering this problem, see screenshot attached for solution.

opc_ua.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(4,657 Views)

Thank you very much guys! I had the same issue with B&R and now it has been solved 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,941 Views)

@diebestetest wrote:

Thank you very much guys! I had the same issue with B&R and now it has been solved 🙂

we solved it by using the hostname "br-automation" - or whatever hostname is configured in automation studio - instead of the ip address. Just add the plc's ip to your host file in the system32/drivers/etc folder. With this workaround you should be able to connect to your B&R plc.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,933 Views)

Hi,
 I have the same issue with the same PLC brand, but this solution doesn't seem to solve.
Is there a particular syntax to edit the hosts file? A space between IP and description or a tab or something similar?
Do I have to reboot the system?
Now I don't get the connection error but I get a Timeout error so something is changed but still not solve.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(123 Views)
You said "whatever hostname is configured in automation studio", but I don't have automation studio, the PLC is from a third party company.
How to know what hostname is used? Can I find it using UAExpert?
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(113 Views)

This is how I see my PLC on UAExpert.
What server endpoint URL should I place in my code?

gepponline_0-1714731805863.png

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(65 Views)

@gepponline wrote:

This is how I see my PLC on UAExpert.
What server endpoint URL should I place in my code?

gepponline_0-1714731805863.png

Interesting, never seen multiple entries as shown on your screenshot above.

This is how it looks from my side (and works).

I would like to recommend to connect by IP, the name probably may not be resolved properly:

Screenshot 2024-05-03 13.54.36.png

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(62 Views)