LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OPC UA browser example? How view the OPC UA servers structure, OPC UA client example?

Solved!
Go to solution

While trying to learn the basics about OPC UA I like to have an OPC UA browser, to look at a OPC UA server.

I like to see/show the tree structure of folders, notes, attributes and the rest in an nice graphical way.

The OPC UA examples in Labview 2015 is a good starting point, from them I could probably build such a OPC UA browser. That would be a good and nice training for me, but since time is limited maybe someone already did it. I guess any commercial OPC Client also has the functionality of browsing a server? Does NI provide any OPC UA client for evaluation?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,140 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ola_A

Hi,

Yes NI provide DSC Module for evaluation, In this module u can browse OPC variables. There are also 3rd party softwares like Codesys, MatrikonOPC . Just try out, but building your own module would take some time because you need to understand the protocol.

Message 2 of 6
(5,125 Views)

Thanks jay0909!

I will see if I can get a recent DSC evaluation that includes OPC UA from NI.

But it would be fun to make a simple browser myself, I like to learn how to use the Tree indicator! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,112 Views)

I also have the OPC UA toolkit and am disappointed that none of the standard NI OPC diagnostic tools and tag browsers seems to work with OPC UA.  I am missing something?  

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,577 Views)

A while back I was messing around to see if I could create a simple OPC UA browser. As with many side projects I lost interest after getting some of the basic functionality working but I have some of the basic functionality up on GitHub if you wanted to take a look at that.

https://github.com/jacobson3/UA-Server-Browser

Right now you can point it at a server and it will build out a basic tree structure for you which will display the browse name but have the actual tag value tied to the unique node id.

UA Browse.png

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 5 of 6
(4,550 Views)

Have been taking a look at your example and can use it to see all of the tags on my cRIO OPC UA server, very nice!

This is a good beginning to something that really should come with the OPC UA toolkit.  I would like to see if I can extend your example to function like the Distributed System Manager which is a great tool for browsing NSV's. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,220 Views)