cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OPC UA Toolkit for LabView 2020 - Release

Solved!
Go to solution

Hy,

Does anyone know when the OPC UA Toolkit for LabView 2020 will be released. I want to upgrade an existing project but the OPC UA Toolkit prevents me doing it.

Greets,

Martin

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(4,148 Views)

I have the same question.  Any NI representative able to answer?

Steven Dusing
CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(4,048 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author matrixx567

Response we received from NI: "Currently there are some plans to release a new version (2020), and according to R&D we don't expect it to be ready until NI Week 2021 at the earliest.  However, we need to keep in mind that nay kind of releases will depend on R&D priorities, so there's not hard date on that." - Technical Support Engineer 8/12/2020

So... sounds like NI is really de-prioritizing future support for OPC UA.  Not the news we wanted, but hopefully this helps others - plan to stay in LV2019 for the foreseeable future.

Steven Dusing
CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(3,978 Views)

is it possible to use 2019 LabVIEW as a sub VI to integrate OPC UA to a control system developed in 2020 LabVIEW?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(3,960 Views)

The answer to that might depend on the exact implementation details- what specifically did you have in mind?

One option would be to create a 2019 LV application that acts as an OPC UA utility, build that into an exe, and interact with it from your LV2020 application via TCP/UDP messaging or something like that.

Steven Dusing
CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(3,946 Views)

Hi,

we have a school project to develop a control system to control a mathematical model. The data of control signal needs to be send to a OPC UA server. If we need to integrate OPC UA, I assume it shall be a Sub-VI.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(3,940 Views)

Just making the OPC UA functionality contained within a LV2019 subvi will not resolve the problem.  LabVIEW would typically recompile older version of LabVIEW subvi's in the later version of LabVIEW you are using.  My understanding is that if you have a LV2020 vi and call a LV2019 vi in the development environment, both of your vi's will be compiled in LV2020.  I believe this is also true even if you try to do something tricky like calling the vi by reference.

I would highly recommend just sticking with LV2019 if you need OPC UA functionality.

Steven Dusing
CLA, CTA
Message 7 of 18
(3,935 Views)

Thank you, I understand that. I have already build most of the code in 2020 now. How can I downgrade the code to 2019? Is it possible?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(3,929 Views)

That's a bit off-topic from what this thread is focused on, but here is a link to the NI Help documentation available online for doing what you ask.  Hopefully this helps you get started in the right direction.
http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361R-01/lvhowto/saving_for_the_previous_ve/

Steven Dusing
CLA, CTA
Message 9 of 18
(3,923 Views)

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(3,919 Views)