From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-unique custom error codes

Hi all,

I seem to be getting multiple error code matches from my custom error rings when passed to General Error Handler.

I have multiple custom error code files located in <install path>/user.lib/errors that share error code values e.g. File 1.txt for one application contains:

<nierror code="5007">
Steady Aerodynamic Coefficients (dCmCofG_da) suggests an unstable model
</nierror>

File 2.txt for a completely different application contains:

<nierror code="5007">
Invalid modulation [ AM | CW | FM | LSN | USB ]
</nierror>

When the error occurs I use an error ring constant applicable for the application.

When triggeredtThe resulting output is:

Warning 5007 occurred at MRET Model.lvclass:Read Steady Aerodynamic Coefficients.vi

Possible reason(s):

Steady Aerodynamic Coefficients (dCmCofG_da) suggests an unstable model
=========================
Invalid modulation [ AM | CW | FM | LSN | USB ]

Should the error code values be unique across the custom error files?

Thx

Tadders

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,981 Views)

They are available for "customization" as the User wants.  My approach is to assign a unique code for each "identifiable" error to aid me (and the users of my routines) in understanding what the error represents, but there are no "rules" for this.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,967 Views)

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply - that is how I use custom error codes!

My problem is if I have multiple error code files, I get a message which is derived from both.

Phill

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,942 Views)

Hmm -- I've never used "multiple Error Code files" -- I tend to have the Error Code files local to the Project where the Errors are being "trapped".

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,935 Views)

Hi Bob,

Ah, we package them for installation into user.lib/errors

Phill

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,934 Views)

Aha, I understand the problem.  As my mom used to say, "Don't Do That!".  [I'm only kidding ...].

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,929 Views)

We need a "namespaced" error code so that your library can have error 5007, AND another library can throw the same error, BUT you can EASILY distinguish.

Obviously in half 2019 it's a too advanced and complicated feature for NI to implement.

I hope they will implement it in Labviw NXG 72.2 around the year 2052 when my personal time-space machine devie should be ready for the mass production.

Meantime, remember to support NI with regular LV subcription

Cheers. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,851 Views)