LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound waveform to generate square waveform

Hi All,

I have a requirement where I need to convert an automotive chime tone of 1.2 seconds to a pulse waveform. ie, from the starting of the chime to the ending of the chime (1.2 sec) the waveform should be high. However, since the waveform is having different sine components, I'm not able to get the exact waveform 

I'm not much familiar with signal processing, only aware of the basics. Can anyone please help me how to resolve this?

Certified LabVIEW Architect
System Test Architect
Electrical Engineering
JLR
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,343 Views)

Hi Rishi,

convert an automotive chime tone of 1.2 seconds to a pulse waveform. ie, from the starting of the chime to the ending of the chime (1.2 sec) the waveform should be high.

Simple solution, based on this desription: create a waveform signal, containing "high" values for 1.2s duration!

Multiply the chime waveform with zero, then add 1:

check.png

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,307 Views)

Hi Gerdw,

I forgot to mention one thing. I will be continuously acquiring the data and the duration of the tone is 1.2 sec not of the acquisition. Means, my total acquisition time might be more than 20 seconds but, the chime duration where chime is present it will be 1.2 seconds. Since it's a sine burst, the signal is going to zero multiple times, and because of that I'm not able to get a perfect pulse of duration 1.2 seconds.

System Test Architect
Electrical Engineering
JLR
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,268 Views)

Hi Rishi,

I forgot to mention one thing.

It always helps to provide as much information as possible.

(It helps a lot, when you want to develop an algorithm!)

You only need to detect the start of your chime signal. Once you know the start you can simply generate your 1.2s HIGH signal…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,242 Views)

Hi GerdW,

My chime is of 1.2 seconds. However, My test system doesn't know if it is of 1.2 seconds duration. It needs to identify whether the duration of the chime is 1.2 seconds. I have used the peak detector to identify the peaks and convert to a pulse waveform. But I don't think this is a conventional method. Attached is the measurement file and vi.

System Test Architect
Electrical Engineering
JLR
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,228 Views)

Plus, if the chime repeats multiple times, the vi will not generate pulses properly, it will generate a pulse of long duration.

System Test Architect
Electrical Engineering
JLR
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,212 Views)

Hi Rishi,

looking at this signal I would detect if the input value is > 1 (as your noise seems to stay below 0.1).

Whenever an input pulse is detected then the next 1.4ms of the output signal is set to HIGH as your bursts seem to last for ~0.6ms followed by a gap of ~0.7ms… (You may adapt those numbers to your exact requirements.)

if the chime repeats multiple times, the vi will not generate pulses properly, it will generate a pulse of long duration.

When the chimes repeats very fast, then I would also expect a longer HIGH pulse output…

With every message you provide some new information/requirement specs: why don't you provide them right from the start?

Btw. when attaching such big files you shuld think about using a ZIP tool. Your chime file can be compressed to less then 500kB!

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,205 Views)

Hi GerdW,

Sorry for the trouble. I'm using my PC from my organization network which will not allow me to transfer any zip file. Also, since the automotive chimes may be repeated with different duty cycles, I assumed you might be aware of it.

System Test Architect
Electrical Engineering
JLR
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,198 Views)

Hi,

Passing the signal to a threshold detector (Comparison 1 or 0) and the result to an LPF will provide the envelope.

System Test Architect
Electrical Engineering
JLR
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,178 Views)