From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No basic Write function on DAQ970A function pallet to control DAQM903A?

Solved!
Go to solution

I am currently using the Keysight DAQ970A and have two modules plugged in, the DAQM901A and the DAQM903A. I believe there are no extra drivers for these specific modules as I didn't find anything online and was able to control the DAQM901A immediately. In order to actuate the relay on the DAQM903A, I am required to write "CLOSE 201" to it and it should close the relay, however, I have been through every single item in the function pallet and can't find a single item to let me just do a basic write operation with that instruction. 

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,251 Views)

Generally you use VISA Write and Read when working with 3rd party instruments.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,217 Views)

RavensFan is correct.  I used the older 34972s in my last job with LabVIEW and now the DAQ970s with python and LabVIEW and it's always the same.  Build your command string, send it with VISA Write, and if you expect anything back do a VISA Read.

If you have installed the old 34970 drivers (I don't think they are updated to the DAQ970 yet) search the NI Example Finder (Help menu) for 34970 and you will find some good examples.

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,211 Views)

The problem which i'm facing is that i'm using the functions from Functions -> Instrument I/O -> Instrument Drivers -> Keysight DAQ970 and all of the items in there are IVI type. When connecting the VISA Write block to my Initialize.vi I get the following error:
"You have connected two terminals of different types. The type of the source is IVI Session of class. The type of the sink is VISA session of class."

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,190 Views)

image (37).png

I tried using just the Visa tiles and made sure to use the correct Visa Resource Name, that gave me an error you can see above. 

When using the DAQ970 palette below i'm able to initialise the device and even read voltages. The issue i'm facing as I stated in my previous reply is that i'm unable to connect the VISA vi's to the IVI ones and unable to use the VISA write tool.

image (39).png

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,168 Views)

I am currently using a Keysight DAQ970A with an extra DAQM903A relay module added in. In order to actuate the module you are required to write "CLOSE 201" to the DAQ. I am using the Keysight DAQ970 function palette and I can't find any simple write block. VISA blocks aren't able to be attached to the DAQ970 blocks as you get the following error "You have connected two terminals of different types. The type of the source is IVI Session of class. The type of the sink is VISA session of class." I have added the pallette of Functions->Instrument I/O->IVI Classs Drivers and even within there I am unable to find a vi which will let me write to the device.

I have got a working basic code initialising the device, reading voltages and closing the device, all using the Keysight DAQ970 IVI blocks. When trying to go down a different route of using VISA blocks I was faced with an error in the VISA Open block so i'm reluctant to try that route again as it doesn't seem to work.

Any thoughts on something I might be missing just to simply send a WRITE command to the DAQ?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,144 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author firasnomaan

The solution can be found in the DAQ970 labview driver palette.

Image_2020-12-10_10-50-37.png

This is the correct palette to use in order to open and close the relays. They are found under Action Status > Route > Route Open/Route Close. This was performed using LabView 2020.

Message 7 of 7
(2,050 Views)