From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Published Shared Variables Example

Hi again xgatc!

Do both computers have the LabVIEW runtime engine installed?

Michael G

Michael G.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Self-realization: I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 29
(1,976 Views)

Hi, Michael

yes.  during buidling the installer, I selected runtime engine and variable engine

cheers

Xiaofeng

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 29
(1,971 Views)

sorry, I forgot to attach the project file

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 29
(1,969 Views)

Hi, Michael

just had a second thought.  do you mean that I have to install the runtime engine separately from the built installer?

cheers

xiaofeng 

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 29
(1,968 Views)

Hi again xiaofeng.

You should not need to install them separately if you included them as additional installers (which it looks like you did).  I tried to open up your project to look at the build specs but something isn't working right (maybe something to do with version conversion).  Have you followed the steps in the KB referenced from the example to ensure that the variable is being properly deployed?

Regards,

Michael G

Michael G.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Self-realization: I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
Message 15 of 29
(1,944 Views)

Hi, Michael

sorry to have missed your reply.  Yes, I did follow KB reference.  I can see the deploying message.  But one thing puzzles me is that how do I know if the Variable Engine is launched? or if there is a way to check?

cheers

xiaofeng

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 29
(1,929 Views)

Hi xaiofeng,

To determine if the Variable Engine is running, you can check which services are loaded on your operating system.

Please use this article for reference

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/2DD852E2B9CDF7578625707E006641A5

The article itself tells how to disable it.  However, you can verify that Nation Instruments Variable Engine service is there, and that it is started.  Please see the following screenshot

Regards

Che T.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 17 of 29
(1,918 Views)

Hi, Che T

Yes, I do have SVE started on two PCs. see the attached.

cheers

xiaofeng

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 29
(1,909 Views)

Hi, Che T and Michael, etc

I finally found the reason or I think so.  I have to add all IPs in Tools\Option\VI Server\Machine Access list.

it is now working.

Thanks for your time. Very appreciated.

Xiaofeng

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 29
(1,907 Views)

Hi,

I can't get it to work over a local network.

I updated the aliases files and added both IPs to the machine access list on both computers. 

In publisher computer I have publisher.aliases with 192.168.50.91, publisher exe, publisher.ini, subscriber.aliases with 192.168.50.110.

In subscriber computer I have publisher.aliases with 192.168.50.91, subscriber.exe, subscriber.ini, and subscriber.aliases with 192.168.50.110.

Both computers are win7. The publisher is 32 bit, the subscriber is 64 bit. LV 2011 is installed on both. In both computers I allowed access over the work network through the firewall.

It doesn't work. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Danielle

"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
― Terry Pratchett
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 29
(1,552 Views)