From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-VISA read instrument Model/Vendor

Solved!
Go to solution

I've been looking all over but have been unable to find any information about reading the Model or Vendor information about an instrument. If I open up NI MAX and expand Devices and Interface, I can click on the VISA interface for my instruments and see the Vendor and Model information for all my GPIB and TCP/IP connected devices. Is it possible to read that same information using the NI-VISA driver? I'm using NI-VISA 17.0 in C#.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,327 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Retik

Nevermind, I just figured out I need to use the VISA command *IDN? to query the instrument identification.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,314 Views)

@Retik wrote:

Nevermind, I just figured out I need to use the VISA command *IDN? to query the instrument identification.

That works as long as the instrument follows the SCPI standard.  There are many out there that don't.  Some have a different command, others have no way to get that data.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,253 Views)