cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Library Icon problems in classes

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey all,

I am currently programming a plugin based Actor-Framework and after getting a version running I wanted to update the icons accordingly. Now I am facing a weird problem when updating the NI Library icon, that sporadically deletes the existing icon content. Funny thing about this is, that if I close the project after this problem and discard all changes, other VIs are affected if I repeat that process, while the ones affected last time now suddenly are ok.

Due to the plug in architecture each project only contains one lvlib with a containing Actor-class. So the project structure is not very complex.

The problem sometimes occurs on accessors, methods with icon text, overridden vis (like actor core) and even normal VIs.

The affected VIs then show the new library icon but when looking in the Layers Tab of the icon editor, the original content was deleted. No possibility to reposition layers or to make invisible layers visible again.

The current workaround is to skip the "Apply icon to all VIs" function and to apply a template frame to each VI individually. But if in future any of my colleagues triggers this button, the problem will occur again and only god knows if he then realizes that half of the icons have been deleted.

If anybody already stumbled over the same issue (did not find a similar topic) and found a working solution or root cause, I would be very grateful if this info could be shared.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(1,976 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jenso

This is a bug in LabVIEW 2021 that was mostly fixed in LabVIEW 2022 Q3, although a few corner cases could still cause the icon wipe out. Those corner cases are slated to be fixed in LabVIEW 2023 Q1.

Message 2 of 13
(1,937 Views)

Ok, thanks a lot for the quick feedback!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(1,929 Views)

@Darren wrote:

This is a bug in LabVIEW 2021 that was mostly fixed in LabVIEW 2022 Q3, although a few corner cases could still cause the icon wipe out. Those corner cases are slated to be fixed in LabVIEW 2023 Q1.

But many of us (most of us?) won't go past LV 2021.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
Message 4 of 13
(1,901 Views)

@paul_cardinale: We are currently actually thinking of going to LV2022. What are the reasons speaking against switching to LV2021?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(1,877 Views)

@Jenso wrote:

@paul_cardinale: We are currently actually thinking of going to LV2022. What are the reasons speaking against switching to LV2021?

The only problem I know of with LV 2021 is the bug mentioned in this thread.

As for LV 2022: SaS just won't work for us.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(1,859 Views)

Ok thanks for the feedback. That just sounded like there is a crucial problem with LV2022 and I was eager to hear about it before updating 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(1,834 Views)

Welp, we just had all our icons wiped getting things updated to 2022Q3.

~ The wizard formerly known as DerrickB ~
Gradatim Ferociter
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(1,426 Views)

@IlluminatedG wrote:

"Welp" is a hatchery in Iowa.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(1,392 Views)

@IlluminatedG wrote:

LabVIEW 2023 Q1 just released this week. Are you able to confirm that the icons *don't* get wiped out in that version?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(1,381 Views)