From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.NET Exception PictureBox Opening In a Loop

Solved!
Go to solution

So I have a set of code I've posted multiple times on the forums for displaying images using the .NET picture box.  I then started losing my mind when things stopped working the way I wanted.  I rolled back my software and realized this issue has always been there.  What I am seeing is if I open and display an image in my picturebox, then close it and reopen the same file, eventually I get a .NET Exception, and I don't know why.  The number of times the file can be opened successfully varies but I see around 30 or 40 times, but as few as 5 and as many as 100.  Can some tell me what I'm doing wrong?  I thought I had a set of stable good code and now I'm seeing I don't.

Attached is the code.  Run Open In a Loop and run it.  It should display an image and at some point I get an error and the image is no longer displayed.

Picture Box Error.png

The text is the following:

Spoiler
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid.
at System.Drawing.Image.get_Width()
at System.Drawing.Image.get_Size()
at System.Windows.Forms.PictureBox.ImageRectangleFromSizeMode(PictureBoxSizeMode mode)
at System.Windows.Forms.PictureBox.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs pe)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ActiveXImpl.System.Windows.Forms.IWindowTarget.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.7.2114.0 built by: NET47REL1LAST
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
NationalInstruments.LabVIEW150
Assembly Version: 8.50.11.22339
Win32 Version: 15.0.0f0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/National%20Instruments/LabVIEW%202015/resource/NationalInstruments.LabVIEW150.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Configuration
Win32 Version: 4.7.2053.0 built by: NET47REL1
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Accessibility
Win32 Version: 4.7.2053.0 built by: NET47REL1
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

My first suspicion is I'm not closing or disposing of a reference properly but throwing dispose and close in random places doesn't seem to be helping.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,495 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hooovahh

Okay with some help from here, I think I know what my problem is.  At the end I'm disposing of an image, that is referenced by the picture box.  I shouldn't dispose of the image, until there is something (anything) in the picture box instead.  So I read the image, I write a new image that is a null, then dispose of the old image.  An alternative would be to try to get a new copy of the image and then disposing of the old one but that didn't work for some reason.

Message 2 of 2
(2,467 Views)