LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED HELP PLEASE!! NI package manager reinstall

So I had some trouble installing DAQmx and I couldn't get it to show up in Express tab. No matter what I did to install this it didn't work. So I uninstalled LabView 2019, and I deleted the files associated with that (need more room on C:\). I'm trying to reinstall Labview 2019. Nothing happens. I download the installer and double click 2019 installer and the admin window pops up and I say yes. Nothing happens. I tried to reinstall NI Package manager. It says that it is already installed but I can't see the icon anywhere or open nothing. 

heathf_0-1586535483656.png

I have no way to reinstall Labview 2019. I also want to install it on another hard drive other than C:\. I have already change the reg editor to install on another hard drive.

I PLEASE NEED HELP. I have work projects that I need to work on and I can't now. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE someone help me!!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(5,205 Views)

Oh, no!  I hope Bob Schor isn't going to say you have to reformat your hard drive (no joke) but it may come down to that...

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(5,165 Views)

Well, the (in)Famous Bob Schor spent yesterday once again removing all NI Software on my "work" PC, trying to install LabVIEW 2019 on it, failing (with the usual "Please check your internet connection"), talked with a helpful NI AE (who suggested that the most recent version of NIPM, namely NIPM 2020, which I was using) may still have bugs!  And it certainly did!  She suggested I try installing one routine at a time, and it still failed.  Finally, we decided to try one more method of installation, but now it was time for dinner ...  In the end, I got LabVIEW 2019 all in place, and am now running full steam on this PC.

So here are some questions:

• Do you know how to open Control Panel?  [Click the Start "Search Bar" and type Control Panel].  Open Programs and Features.
    • Is there an entry for "National Instruments Software"?
    • Is there an entry for "NIPM"?NI Software.png
    • The above shows a piece of my Programs and Features.
  • Is there a National Instruments folder in C:\Program Files?
  • Is there a National Instruments folder in C:\Program Files (x86)?

In the past year, I've done about a dozen Uninstall/Reinstall sequences.  Fortunately, my two forays into trying to "forcibly repair bad LabVIEW installations" were several years ago, and did involve reformatting the C: drive and reinstalling Windows 10 and "everything else".  Since then, I've been more careful ...

Oh, one more question -- are you running LabVIEW 32-bit or 64-bit?  If you don't need 64-bit, I strongly recommend you use 32-bit.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(5,125 Views)

Thanks for the reply, Bob. I was hoping that you would respond based on many searches I have seen your name.

I do need 64-bit. I'm using NIPM 2020. I have installed and uninstalled about 5-6 times today going on 13 hours trying to get this fixed!! Getting very angry!!!!

My Add remove programs has "NI package Manager 64-bit" and "Nationa Instruments Software" and "VI package Manager 2019"

I want this to be installed on another HDD that I have. I DON'T have room on my C:\ for labview.

I have created the appropriate folders on the other HDD that correspond to the ones on C:\

Program Files\ National Instruments 

Program Files (X86)\National Instruments

I changed the installation location with registry editor like this https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Install-LabView-2019-on-hard-drive-other-than-C/td-p/3930047

I can open the 32-bit version but the 64-bit version will not open. I also need to use DAQmx which isn't in the 32-bit one that I have. This is a real pain in my ass!!!

I have tried using NIPM to repair many times.

Thank you so much for your help. This is for work so I do need to get this resolved

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(5,119 Views)

The problem is definitely NIPM.  It is getting better, but it is still flaky.  Given all of the problems with LabVIEW installation, and the number of "moving parts", I'd opt for leaving LabVIEW on the C: Drive (it will be in multiple folders, including Program Files, Program Files (x86), and the hidden Program Data, not to mention the other folders that are not "National Instruments" that get created.

For example, there are safe ways to move Profiles or Profile parts (such as "My Documents") to other Drives.  Another safer thing to do is to purchase a larger drive and "migrate" the files on the C: drive to the new drive, in effect creating a larger C: drive (with room to install LabVIEW).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(5,101 Views)

Ok. So I made some room on my c:\ and changed all the registry locations back to the c:\. After I install it I try and run the 64bit version and it says that labVIEW.exe is missing and that I need to search for it?

Any idea what to do now?

i’m not home at the moment. Will be later today. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(5,070 Views)

I'm trying to (safely) get us connected by phone, or the Web, or something.  It sounds (to me) like your system is on the verge of instability (which is where you need to reformat the C: drive, etc.) -- before you go "over the edge", I'd like to very a few things and see if we can get to a "stable base" and do a fresh (clean) Install.  Getting connected via PM is a beginning ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(5,055 Views)

Bob,

I now have Private messages. I sent you one.

Thank you for the help!!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(5,037 Views)

Whew!  Fixed.

Method:

1. Carefully (using methods that can by found on the Web) completely remove all NI Software using Control Panel, Programs and Features.
    1. First, do a Remove All for "National Instruments Software".  This brings up NIPM.  Be sure to uncheck "Programs Only", and select everything (you can't check NIPM, that's OK).  Reboot after every step.
    2. Repeat Step 1.  Ensure that National Instruments Package Manager (NIPM) is the only program left (ensure that the number of Programs Installed is 1).  If true, close NIPM, go back to Programs and Features, and choose NI Package Manager.  You will now be able to remove NIPM safely -- do so, then Reboot.
    3. Repeat Step 1.  You may find >100 files still to remove.  Remove them.  Reboot.
  2. As it happened, we could not complete Step 1.1, above.  Turns out an NI File had accidentally deleted.  We restored the file from a backup, repeated Step 1.1 (which succeeded), then finished the rest of Step 1.
  3. If you have done Step 1 without problems, you could remove the "National Instruments" folder (and all its contents) from C:\Program Files, C:\Program Files (x86), and C:\Program Data.  If you have used VIPM, you should also remove folders called "JKI" to "reset" the list of installed VI Packages.
  4. Go to the Web, look for LabVIEW Downloads 2019 from www.ni.com.  Download "installer" (NIPM 2020), run the Install.  Reboot.
  5. You are now ready to install LabVIEW.  You will do this by running NIPM (found in Start Menu in the National Instruments folder.
  6. For Best Results (meaning "most likely to succeed"), I recommend the following:
    1. Choose LabVIEW 2019 SP1, 32-bit (it comes up with 64-bit as default).
    2. When the list of Products to install appears, Deselect All (button on the bottom) and choose only LabVIEW 2019 SP1.  Be sure Drivers are deselected.
    3. When Addons appear, Deselect All, then choose only the ones you think you'll need.  I recommend VIPM.  
    4. Install and Reboot.
    5. If you need Toolkits or Modules, install them (again without Drivers, with minimal Addons) in Pass 2.  Reboot.
    6. Install just the Drivers you'll need, probably at least DAQmx.  For reasons I don't understand, NI 488.2 is always pre-selected -- if you aren't using GPIB devices, you probably don't need it.  Again, choose only the Add-ons you know you'll need.  Install, Reboot.
  7. That should do it!

Bob Schor

Message 9 of 16
(5,009 Views)

I wasn't able to remove ni package manager via control panel.

Also not able to remove via revo uninstaller. But when u continue detailed cleaning steps on revo uninst, my problem solved.

Then I expreinced a normal installation process without any issue like "The package is already installed. No operation will be performed." 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(3,845 Views)