LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED HELP PLEASE!! NI package manager reinstall

I'm not sure what you are saying.  What I think you said is that you were successful in "forcing" the removal of the NI Package Manager using something called "revo uninstaller".  If so, I would say you were very lucky that it didn't corrupt your system.

There have been numerous reports on this Forum of Windows systems being corrupted by forced Uninstalls (using third-party uninstallers) of NIPM.  I confess I did this (twice!) when LabVIEW 2017 was released, and "fixed it" by wiping my C: drive and reinstalling Windows.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(704 Views)

CCC

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(700 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

I'm not sure what you are saying.  What I think you said is that you were successful in "forcing" the removal of the NI Package Manager using something called "revo uninstaller".  If so, I would say you were very lucky that it didn't corrupt your system.

There have been numerous reports on this Forum of Windows systems being corrupted by forced Uninstalls (using third-party uninstallers) of NIPM.  I confess I did this (twice!) when LabVIEW 2017 was released, and "fixed it" by wiping my C: drive and reinstalling Windows.

Bob Schor

Hi. Bob - I've used REVO uninstaller before, and it's pretty safe if you use the default settings.  It's like the Windows uninstaller on steroids.  It first runs the app's uninstaller, then it does some hunting down of files that the uninstaller left behind, as well as hunting down some leftover registry settings.  (It won't take any action on either of these unless you specifically give it permission to for each occasion.)

Edit:

Oh, OOPS, this is NIPM we're talking about.  all bets are off!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(689 Views)

Hi Bob - I am having a similar issue to this one, and I'm hoping you might be able to help! I had to uninstall labview from my device, and am now trying to reinstall. 

If I run the install on LabView, I get the following error: NI package manager is not in expected folder

If I try to reinstall NI package manager, I get the following error: Package is already installed

I see no trace of NI in program files, or in the control panel. Do you have any suggestions? 

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(400 Views)

Daniela, can you share with us what steps might have gotten you into this state? Steps could include what you recently installed or uninstalled from NI, did you try to clean up NI related installed files by manually deleting them, and did you do any manual editing of the NI registry. I want to make sure that what you are seeing matches the solution that we might ask you to try. In addition, what versions of NIPM do you think are already installed and what version are you trying to install that is failing?

Scott Richardson
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(380 Views)

Hello, @D01234.

How did you "uninstall LabVIEW"?  The (only?) safe way is to use Window's "installer" (I keep "Control Panel" from Windows 7 on my Desktop just for "Add/Remove Programs" for uninstalling software).  You do the following:

1. Remove (all) National Instruments software.  It looks (in it's "NI incarnation") like it is now called "NI Software".  This will bring up NI Package Manager (a.k.a. NIPM), where you should suggest all Programs and Features (or however they are named).  Select everything, let the uninstallation proceed.  Reboot when done.
  2. Repeat the same thing -- there may still be entries there, even though you tried to remove "everything".  [There definitely were "leftovers" after I removed "Everything"].  Reboot.
  3. Now remove NI Package Manager.  You'll get a warning, which is "real" -- you need to let Windows/NIPM uninstall everything else for you.  Reboot.
  4. That's it!  Don't remove anything else. Don't mess with the Registry.  Don't delete folders.
  5. Should you have been more 'aggressive" in removing other NI files, folders, and (especially!) Registry entries, the only solution that I have found (and have implemented twice) is to back up data files, take note of what software is currently installed, and then (a) reformat the C: drive, (b) reinstall Windows, (c) reinstall other programs (Office, AntiVirus, Utilities), and (d) restore User files.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(360 Views)