LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My serial communication commands dont work in MAX

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to read and writ a command to a temperature oven. The commands offered by NI-MAX don't work.

I attached a picture with a sample command that the manual gave. This device uses GPIB.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(2,843 Views)

Does it need a termination character?  (probably)  Did you send a termination character?  (I don't see one in your command.)

Hit enter at the end of version.  Or type /n or /r.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(2,834 Views)

Thanks for the response. Yes I tried \n and \r.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(2,810 Views)

I also am not sure which GPIB to choose.

I tried GPIB0 and GPIB4 and GPIB5 then "Scan for Instrument".

Not sure.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(2,808 Views)

@Netsballer92 wrote:

I also am not sure which GPIB to choose.

Leave it as GPIB0.  You should only need to change that if you have multiple GPIB controllers on your system.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(2,802 Views)

What model of oven and/or controller are you trying to talk to?  There are plenty of other settings to worry about that might show up in the manual.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(2,800 Views)

That looks like it's supposed to be a query.  Did you click the "Query" button?  (Alternatively, did you click "Write" followed by "Read"?)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(2,790 Views)

Thank you for the response on GPIB0.

Here is the manual.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(2,743 Views)

Thank you for the response.

Yes I tried both of these options. Write and read also query

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(2,740 Views)

How many ovens do you have connected?  I see 10 instruments listed in your NI-MAX list.  Are they all powered on?  How long are the cables between them?  Have you specifically set the address on each oven?  What is the address you are attempting to contact?  (In your first post its GPIB0::4::INSTR, but its not shown in the list in the latest image.)

GPIB has some restrictions on cable length (2m between instruments/repeaters) and a total of 20m of cable length.  Also I think its 2/3 of the instruments have to powered on at any time.  If you have a huge long run on cabling, and most of the instruments are off your feeble GPIB querry just gets lost and eventually you get that timeout error.

I would try to send either "Status?\r\n" or "Temp?\r\n".

Craig

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(2,720 Views)