LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple device on TCP/IP with multiple Charts

Hello,

I need little help before I start creating project. I have X number of devices which sends data through TCP and I want to create program to read data (Numeric) from that X devices.

I have seen program in labview example but I also want to show data on chart. I want to show data in X charts and every chart should display data according to its device.

How is this possible?? Please can you suggest me some ideas?? 

Thank you so much in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(728 Views)

Is there a reasonable upper limit on the number X?

To simplify things, I would first create a program to read data from exactly one device and fully debug it. Have you done that?

Do you really want X charts or would one chart with X plots be sufficient?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(707 Views)

Hello,

Thank you so much for reply.

No, I haven't done it and yes there is upper limit. Upper limit is 10 devices. Yes, I need X number of different charts and actually I also want to show "current reading" of data.

So, any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(679 Views)

So, as suggested, start with creating and fully debug the code for one device and one chart. How familiar are you with LabVIEW?

To show the current value, right-click the chart and select "visible items...digital display". No extra code needed.

Maybe take a step back and tell us a bit more about the problem you are trying to solve. Do all chart update at the same frequency from one big loop or is each on a different time base? Can the number of devices/charts change at run time? How big are the charts (just displaying some trend in low resolution on stamp sized charts or big charts with high resolution? Do you need to show the axes? etc. etc.

While you cannot create charts on the fly, you can create your 10 charts and arrange them as needed, then make only a subset visible. Of course at that point the user just stares at empty spaces where a chart is not shown. Maybe it would be better to always show them, but grey out the ones not used.

TCP/IP is also not specific. Do you use TCP or UDP? What should happen if one of the devices stops responding? etc. Earlier you said that the devices "send data via TCP". Who is the client and who is the server, i.e. who initiates the connection? What commands are used? How is the data encoded? Who terminates the connection?

I am sure you have quite a clear picture how this all should look like, but for us, the current description so way too ambiguous to give specific advice.

At this point, start with two tasks. (2) Create a program that does he communication with one instruments as already mentioned. (2) create a front panel with your 10 charts and all other necessary controls you need and write a simple simulation that just generates random data without any instrument communication. Work out the logic and architecture. Only at the very end substitute the instruments communication.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(663 Views)