From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing VI troubleshooting (Feature request?)

Every once in a while I have an issue where I load a top level VI and end up with missing VIs.  Sometimes it's due to an actual missing VI but lately I have been copying libraries full of classes from one project to another and end up with missing VIs.   The VI is actually in the library but is missing for some goofy reason.  The annoying part is that I just see a square with a question mark where the VI should be. Figuring out what VI is missing is often a real challenge if you are not the author of the code!  If the error dialog would contain the missing VI name and expected path it would go a long way to assist resolving the issue.  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,132 Views)

Hi dude,

Sometimes it's due to an actual missing VI but lately I have been copying libraries full of classes from one project to another and end up with missing VIs.

So it is not just "sometimes" but "always" the problem of missing VIs.

And it's all your fault when YOU start to move things on harddisc without using the project explorer…

The annoying part is that I just see a square with a question mark where the VI should be. Figuring out what VI is missing is often a real challenge if you are not the author of the code! 

Three simple steps:

1. Open the context help.

2. Move the mouse pointer over the missing subVI.

3. Read the text in the context help.

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 3
(2,108 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

The annoying part is that I just see a square with a question mark where the VI should be. Figuring out what VI is missing is often a real challenge if you are not the author of the code! 

Three simple steps:

1. Open the context help.

2. Move the mouse pointer over the missing subVI.

3. Read the text in the context help.

IIRC, double clicking the VI gives a popup with the name.

IIRC, show label shows the VI name in the label, even if it's missing.

Also, the Dependencies section in the project explorer shows what VI's are used and not in the project, including the VI's that are used but missing.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,085 Views)