From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory Leak with Named Notifier

Solved!
Go to solution

I don't usually use named queues or notifiers, but it seemed convenient for a recent task to use named notifiers. My program would use the named notifier once every 10 mins, and after a couple days of running, the program would get a memory error. I cannot prove the memory error is from the notifiers in the program so I made a simple test case, attached.

I made "Notifier Test.vi" to send data on a named notifier every 5ms, but only a single notifier should ever be created. If I run the "Notifier Test.vi", the memory usage starts out constant, then starts to trend upward in a straight line after about 5 minutes. After about 30 minutes of running, the notifier no longer transfers data and the data indicator just reads 0. You can use the included "Check Memory Usage.vi" to see a chart of the memory usage over time.

Can anyone reproduce these results? Did I misunderstand how named notifiers work?

Block diagram for those who don't want to download:

temp.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,595 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gregory

This is not a bug, rather the expected behavior. Each time you obtain a notifier (even a named one, where you're pointing at the same underlying notifier), you get a new copy of the reference, and every single one of those needs to be closed. So, if you obtain a reference in a loop (as you're doing), but you never close those references, then you get a resource leak.

EDIT: here's one of many posts on this topic, this one from an authoritative source:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Obtain-Queue-memory-leak/m-p/1644744#M590534

Message 2 of 3
(3,585 Views)

I see, thanks for clearing that up!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,574 Views)