LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mass flow controller with Labview

For example 8AO, 15AI.

Do not count the thermocouples as analog inputs in this case at least, since it is better to use dedicated hardware to read thermocuple voltages...

As I said already, in such projects I like to use the modular cDAQ platform (in a nice interactive way you can put together what you need):

http://ohm.ni.com/advisors/compactdaq/pages/common/intro.xhtml

Of course, I do spend money on it, and it is not too cheap. Of course after deciding what modules you need, you could hunt these on ebay, etc...?

I have attached a possible configuration in pdf, it includes main elements:

• cDAQ-9174 four chassis device (USB interface)
  • NI 9201 module (+-10 V voltage, 8-channels AI)
  • NI-9264 (16-channel AO module)
  • NI 9211 module (4 channels thermocouples)

the end price is about 2900 EUR...

The most expensive part is the 16 channel AO module, but I only found 4 channel and 16 channel AO modules, no 8 CH modules...

Message 31 of 76
(2,857 Views)

Thank you, Blokk!

At the beginning I will control the MFCs with external power supply (0-5V) with potentiometer and use the AI of USB-6009 just to monitor the flow. There are enough AI. For the temperature I have to read some more info how to use low voltage signals ( NI 9211 4-Ch). I will check the list you attached. 

It will be easy to upgrade the system but first to start it.

0 Kudos
Message 32 of 76
(2,840 Views)
The NI-9211 is very simple to use: you connect a thermocouple to a channel, configure a measurement with DAQmx VIs, and done 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 33 of 76
(2,832 Views)

Here is some more reading about thermocouple measurements using LabVIEW and NI HW:

http://www.ni.com/tutorial/14338/en/

This is for DAQ/ signal creation in general, so also applies to analog input/output devices:

http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/5434/en/

Just in advance, if you go in the NI route, later learn to use the low level DAQmx VIs. Express VIs (like the "DAQ Assistant") are ok for testing (for testing purpose the MAX - Measurement & Automation Explorer is also useful) and prototyping, but the real power of LabVIEW comes with DAQmx VIs!

Message 34 of 76
(2,811 Views)

I will follow your advice. Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 35 of 76
(2,799 Views)

Hello Dear Friend

I have bought a used ALTA mks 1480a mass flow controller( 1000 sccm N2 gas) from ebay. I want to use it in a electronic nose system (it is my M.Sc thesis). I should connect it to a N2 gas cylinder.
I need just 1000 sccm flow rate. I wil use labview program. the problem is that I dont know anything about how to run this MFC. I am really confused.
the device outputs are: v-, v+, DRAiN, CAN+, and CAN-
I dont know what sftware and hardware I need to run this device. Even I don't know how to connect it to the gas cylinder correctly.  Please help me dear friend. I will say hello for any useful and practical information.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thank you

Back to Sent Messages
0 Kudos
Message 36 of 76
(2,615 Views)

All the manuals are available online. The device is available with several different inputs and it looks like you got the version that communicates via devicenet

There are devicenet drivers and interfaces for LabVIEW, but I don't know anything about them (see e.g. here)

0 Kudos
Message 37 of 76
(2,602 Views)

thank you

I will check them

0 Kudos
Message 38 of 76
(2,590 Views)

Hi Sir

As Altenbach writes, you have a devicenet mfc.(this old mfc is obsolete)  The hardware you would need to control it is far beyond what you would have paid for the mfc on ebay. Device net a steep learning curve as well.   There is another port, but it is a bit bang serial port and also requires special hardware.  You would be better off going back for another mfc that is all analog. Would note that some mfc's require +/- 15 volts power while others can run on just a positive supply +15 to 24 v.    

good luck

0 Kudos
Message 39 of 76
(2,553 Views)

hello

Is it possible to control this MFC using a DAQ connected to LabView?
What is the hardware you mentioned?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 40 of 76
(2,535 Views)