LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Word Report Generation Filename Input

Solved!
Go to solution

I am using the MS Office Report Genertation VI and selecting a custom template.

I am able to populate all fields correctly, but is there a way for me to specify the "save as" filename as an input?

The report filename will change each time the program is ran based on the product serial number.

Is there a way to create a filename input?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,882 Views)

Do you mean the "Save Report to File" VI?

Capture.PNG

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,879 Views)

I am using the following VI to create the report.

report.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,872 Views)

Then don't use that.  Smiley Wink

Actually you can expand the express VI to show other config parameters, including save path.  Drag the handle on the edge of the VI downwards to reveal other parameters.

I try to avoid using the Express VIs because they are very limited in their functionality and you can only do the thing they were designed to do, which is usually not what I am wanting to do.  You can create a copy of the Express VI and using the copy, right click it and open the front panel to see the underlying code behind it.  Then you can use that code as a basis for what you want to do and customize it to your heart's content.  However, you won't have the dialog box functionality that you had before.  

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,854 Views)

Thanks for the input, I do see the save path input when using the basic report for Word, but if I select custom report for Word (I'd like to use my own template) that option seems to go away.

I may try modifying the VI like you say.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,848 Views)

Works for me.

Capture.PNG

aputman
------------------
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,845 Views)

Hmmm, interesting. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Do I need to do something on my template possibly?vi.png

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,842 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author CastleWorks

Do you have the report destination set to "Save to File"?  If it's set to Open in Office, the save path input goes away.

aputman
------------------
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,839 Views)

FOR THE WIN!.....yep that was my oversight.  Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,834 Views)

Mark the solution so that others coming along can skip straight to the answer.  Kudos are also appreciated.  

aputman
------------------
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,832 Views)