cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logging real time sensor data in a blf file

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey NI Community,

I am working on a VI that monitors sensor data from various kinds of sesnors - temperature, pressure, flow, airflow etc in real time. I was hoping to record all the data in blf file format for later analysis on Vector's CANalyser. 

After reading about how that could be achieved, I realized that LabVIEW allows logging data in one of the following 3 formats: TDMS, TXT and NCL.

However, I also saw posts similar to this one where community members wanted to save their data as blf files, and I also happened to find VI's that should help me achieve what I am looking for.

The VI's I am trying to incorporate in my program were found at this link: https://forums.ni.com/t5/Example-Code/Read-and-Write-BLF-Files/ta-p/3549766

My issue, however, still remains unresolved since I am getting the following error (snippet attached below) as I try to run the read/write blf VI's I linked above.

If someone could help me figure out what I am missing, or tell me if there was another way to read and create blf files without having to use 3rd party add-ons, please let me know. I would highly appreciate any help or insight you might have for me.

Thank you!

3rd party add on required.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,734 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author viamotors

It says that the code you downloaded has dependencies on OpenG libraries and is not installed on your computer.

Simple, open this link and click Install with VIPM

santo_13_0-1627440564472.png

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,716 Views)
Solution

Hi motors,

@viamotors wrote:

My issue, however, still remains unresolved since I am getting the following error (snippet attached below) as I try to run the read/write blf VI's I linked above.

If someone could help me figure out what I am missing, or tell me if there was another way to read and create blf files without having to use 3rd party add-ons, please let me know. I would highly appreciate any help or insight you might have for me.

Did you read that error message? It tells you exactly what is missing, and it tells you how to install the missing items!

Please install the needed OpenG libraries using VIPM…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,703 Views)
Solution

Yes in fact to help facilitate these dependencies I included a "Package Dependencies.vipc" file in the download that you can double click and VIPM will install the needed dependencies.  But honestly this API should be a package on vipm.io that handles this but I never got around to it.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,677 Views)

Thank you all for your help. It solved the error. I am now able to read and write blf files on Labview.

However, I am able to do it only when I have the vi running added to the My Computer . 

I had a similar issue with reading spreadsheets earlier, and I was told by the NI community to use FTP to enable file transfer between the computer and the real time crio. While that solved that specific problem, I cannot use ftp for transfer of blf files. 

I have provided more specific details of what is happening as a reply to to that thread, which you can find here:
https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Read-Delimited-Spreadsheet-Not-Working-For-VI-s-Added-to-a-Real/m-p... 

If you could please look at the reply titled "Read .blf file when added to a Real-Time CompactRio Target Within a Project" and provide an insight into what the issue might be and how I could resolve it, I would be so grateful.

Thank you, again! 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,663 Views)