cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locked out of my files - My only version of LabVIEW suddenly gives error code 9

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

I have LabVIEW 2015. No other versions have ever been installed on this computer. While I was simply editing a VI file, LabVIEW crashed. When I attempted to open the VI file again, LabVIEW gave me an error code 9, claiming that the file was saved with a newer version of LabVIEW.

I was able to open the file initially, and I did not save any changes since I opened the file. The glitch affected all other VI files in the same folder. Other VI files do not give any errors. I can open the Project files, but I am locked out of all the VI files for the project.

Searching has not turned up anyone else having this issue.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(2,897 Views)

Sounds like a corrupted VI to me.  Do you have a backup?  If not....why?

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(2,892 Views)

All files in the folder were affected, not just the one that I was working on. Storing backups in another folder never occurred to me. And, I still do not understand how all the VI files were affected without me even saving the file.

I opened the file and made some changes. I didn't like the changes, so I closed the file without saving. I opened it again to make some more experimental modifications to the code. Then, LabVIEW crashed.

Do you think that uploading the main files (only two) to the conversion forum would work?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(2,879 Views)

I doubt it but it may be worth a try.  There are a couple of utilities posted somewhere on the forum by AristosQueue (I think) for recovering corrupted files.  Sometimes they work, sometimes not.  If you do find the utility and try it out, be sure to try it on a copy.  

Sometimes, you may have a backup copy and not realize it.  Right click the VI in Windows Explorer and go to Properties.  You should see a Previous Versions tab.  If Windows has made a backup of the file, you should see it listed here.  If so, restore it to a new folder.  Don't overwrite the corrupted file just yet, in case you decide to try out the conversion forum or other recovery techniques.  

Good luck.  And for the sake of all that is good and holy, make a backup copy of your work somehow, some way.  Copy it to a 1.44mb floppy if you have to.  

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20
(2,869 Views)

@AustinP wrote:

Storing backups in another folder never occurred to me.

Please just Google "Software Configuration Control" (SCC).  The general idea is you have a database that holds your code and lets you revert to any previous version you might have had.  You can also add notes saying what you did for the check ins.  Personally, I am a fan of Tortoise SVN for my SCC software.

AustinP wrote:

Do you think that uploading the main files (only two) to the conversion forum would work?

Go ahead and post them here and I will see what I can do.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20
(2,862 Views)

AustinP wrote:

... LabVIEW gave me an error code 9, claiming that the file was saved with a newer version of LabVIEW.

Just to make sure, you could post one of the affected VIs in the version conversion forum, just to see if a newer version could actually open it. If this works, somebody could down-convert everything for you again.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20
(2,854 Views)

Here

@crossrulz wrote:

@AustinP wrote:

Storing backups in another folder never occurred to me.

Please just Google "Software Configuration Control" (SCC).  The general idea is you have a database that holds your code and lets you revert to any previous version you might have had.  You can also add notes saying what you did for the check ins.  Personally, I am a fan of Tortoise SVN for my SCC software.

AustinP wrote:

Go ahead and post them here and I will see what I can do.

This computer is locked down and off network, so backing up is a challenge. But, we will do something. I found backups of two files in another folder.

Here is the one file that does not have a backup. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20
(2,850 Views)

Opens fine in a newer version and claims to be saved LabVIEW 2016. This means we can recover all this for you and down-save it. Puzzling....

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20
(2,842 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

Opens fine in a newer version and claims to be saved LabVIEW 2016. This means we can recover all this for you and down-save it. Puzzling....

Wow, that is great news. And, I spoke too soon on the backups. They were just an executable. So, here is the other file.

I can post these files in the conversion forum if needed. I was hoping to learn what happened and how to prevent it. But, it looks like the prevention is limited to robust backups.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20
(2,839 Views)

Double post

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20
(2,838 Views)