Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locked out of my files - My only version of LabVIEW suddenly gives error code 9

Solved!
Go to solution

@crossrulz wrote:

@AustinP wrote:

Storing backups in another folder never occurred to me.

Please just Google "Software Configuration Control" (SCC).  The general idea is you have a database that holds your code and lets you revert to any previous version you might have had.  You can also add notes saying what you did for the check ins.  Personally, I am a fan of Tortoise SVN for my SCC software.

It looks like Tortoise SVN is already installed on this computer, but nobody was using it. I will look into that immediately and set that up for this project. Thank you. From the name of it, I never would have known that it had SCC.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(1,016 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author AustinP

@altenbach wrote:

Opens fine in a newer version and claims to be saved LabVIEW 2016. This means we can recover all this for you and down-save it. Puzzling....

Wow...that is crazy.  Are you sure there are no other versions of Labview installed?  

Apparently you have the only up-saving installation of Labview (outside of NI....if there is such a thing, which apparently there is).  Smiley Very Happy

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(1,015 Views)

@aputman wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

Opens fine in a newer version and claims to be saved LabVIEW 2016. This means we can recover all this for you and down-save it. Puzzling....

Wow...that is crazy.  Are you sure there are no other versions of Labview installed?  

Apparently you have the only up-saving installation of Labview (outside of NI....if there is such a thing, which apparently there is).  Smiley Very Happy

WOW! This computer does have LabVIEW 2016. I have no idea how Windows skipped around LabVIEW versions since I was just double-clicking to open the files. Anyway, the team will be pleased to know that they have two licenses of LabVIEW. LOL

I missed it because the 2016 version is 64-bit and the 2015 version is 32-bit. Some programs include 32-bit as well as 64-bit. I never read the middle part of the name.

Thank you everyone. And, even though this was simple, I will still start using SCC.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(1,008 Views)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't double-clicking on a .vi in Windows cause it to try to open it in whichever version of LabVIEW was last used, rather than the one that created it?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(1,004 Views)

@arteitle wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't double-clicking on a .vi in Windows cause it to try to open it in whichever version of LabVIEW was last used, rather than the one that created it?

That is the way it works for me.  2011 and 2012 installed and the last version used opens when double clicking a VI.

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(1,000 Views)

@arteitle wrote:

This seems to be the case. It was opening them with 2016, then. But, it must have switched to 2015 after 2016 crashed.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20
(998 Views)

@arteitle wrote:

No correction needed.  That is exactly how it behaves.  So always be care about which version of LabVIEW you are working in.  I have a habit of explicitly opening LabVIEW before attempting to open a VI from Windows.  Helps alleviate the issue most of the time.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 17 of 20
(990 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@arteitle wrote:

No correction needed.  That is exactly how it behaves.  So always be care about which version of LabVIEW you are working in.  I have a habit of explicitly opening LabVIEW before attempting to open a VI from Windows.  Helps alleviate the issue most of the time.

This is how I do it, also.  I have a bunch of different LV versions on my computer, so I never double-click on a LV file.  I'm guessing the OP would never have developed this habit  since it was assumed that there was only one version of LV installed.  😞

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(973 Views)

Bill,

You should try using the Automatic Version Manager (see link below)... It should help.  

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/215988

This also goes for anyone else running multiple versions of LabVIEW on the same computer.

Enjoy.

Sam

Sam Taggart
CLA, CPI, CTD, LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
Read about my thoughts on Software Development at sasworkshops.com/blog
GCentral
Message 19 of 20
(957 Views)

Hi Austin,

the last file for LV2015…

edit: failed to read the whole thread…