LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview serial connection issue.

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to send and receive serial data to an X Carve controller. It is an arduino based system. I have been able to setup visa to the point where it can communicate in the test mode but it will not run in the sample program "simple serial"  I get an error that visa is not installed or missing drivers. I am using labview 2016 student edition.

I would use the LIFA (i think that the name for it) to talk with the arduino but I don't know enough about the system to rewrite the arduino programming. The xcontroller is setup up with a grbl branch tailored to the xcarve.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,969 Views)

LIFA is outdated and has been replaced by LINX.

If you were able to get setup VISA to work with the test mode, whatever that is, then you should not be getting an error about VISA.  If you get an error about VISA is not installed or missing drivers, then apparently you do not have it installed.

What version of VISA did you install?  And did you install it after installing LabVIEW?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,960 Views)

Installed in one package. Here is a screen shot of the current visa setup and error message.

VI used is the simple serial example.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,952 Views)

visa version appears to be 5.8. I have 2 installed one is visa shared components the other is visa .net shared components.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(3,947 Views)

@skie wrote:

visa version appears to be 5.8. I have 2 installed one is visa shared components the other is visa .net shared components.

Reinstall VISA.  You should have VISA 16.0 or newer in order to have compatibility with LabVIEW 2016.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,937 Views)

reinstalled NI-VISA 17.0 - NIVISA1700full.exe

problem persists.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,925 Views)

OK I'm looking at your screen captures.  With the VISA Test panel you send a "?" then read and get a response. There is no information shared on the COM4 configuration parameters. With the LabVIEW Simple Serial.vi Example, you show some Configuration parameters that might or might not match the serial port settings from MAX and do not get a response after sending "*IDN?"  

"?" != "*IDN?" and without a manual we cannot tell what commands the device responds to or how it expects the COM port to be set up.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(3,907 Views)

@skie wrote:

Why do you think you have VISA 5.8 installed?  Your NI-MAX looks like VISA 17.0 is installed.  And I have never heard of VISA 5.8.  It doesn't exist on this chart.  http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/53413/en/

(Note: it has not been updated to include LabVIEW or VISA 17.0)

What version of LabVIEW are you running when you get the error?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,902 Views)

Here is a side by side of MAX and the VI error. I changed to "*IDN?" to a "?" in the VI to correspond to what the USB device is looking for. I am try to get a simple message/response from the USB device. Mostly the connection will be labview sending commands and waiting for an "ok" or "error"

I think this issue might have to do with changing the device driver with "NI VISA Driver Wizard" the resulting driver is unsigned and I cannot install it.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(3,900 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

Why do you think you have VISA 5.8 installed?  Your NI-MAX looks like VISA 17.0 is installed.  And I have never heard of VISA 5.8.  It doesn't exist on this chart.  http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/53413/en/

(Note: it has not been updated to include LabVIEW or VISA 17.0)

What version of LabVIEW are you running when you get the error?

I got 5.8 from looking threw my installed programs. I am using labview 1016 and visa 17

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(3,898 Views)