Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview serial connection issue.

Solved!
Go to solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author skie

VISA 17 would work with LV 16.

There is no VISA 5.8, so I don't know where you got that from looking through your installed programs.

Your MAX shows NI-VISA 17 installed.  Also LV 16 32-bit and 64-bit.  I think the problem is that you are using LV 2016 64-bit because your LabVIEW icon is white.  That means you don't have the 64-bit version of the VISA drivers installed.

is there any reason you are using 64-bit?  You should be using 32-bit unless you have special needs like using lots of memory for vision applications

Try starting LV 32-bit and run your VI.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(851 Views)

Just out of curiosity.  (I hate asking this but...) did you consider following the hyperlink shown in your picture?

Here it is
See the Link?See the Link?

Did you install VISA support for LabVIEW 64 bit?  Doe it work for 32 bit?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(847 Views)

Ended up removing labview 16 and installing 17. This time I checked every box on the options to install. Runs with no errors now but the "response" window in simple serial VI doesn't populate. When I run continuous serial VI I get overflow errors on the "response" window.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(815 Views)

Probably an issue with the commands you are sending.  Or your baud rate, or stop bits, or something else.  But we can only guess since no code is attached and we don't know anything about how the Arduino based system is programmed.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(806 Views)

@skie wrote:

Runs with no errors now but the "response" window in simple serial VI doesn't populate.

Likely due to the use of the Bytes At Port not giving enough time for the instrument to respond.  You should instead just tell the VISA Read how many bytes you expect in the message.

@skie wrote:

When I run continuous serial VI I get overflow errors on the "response" window.

You are getting data faster than you are reading it.

In the end, we cannot help you unless we know exactly what the protocol is for the messages going back and forth.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(795 Views)