From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview for raspberry pi 3

hi to all, i just buy a raspberry pi 3 with raspbian os on it and i'd like to install labview on it. Someone know if linux version is ok or i have some compatibility problem between an ARM processor and Labview (like Matlab)? I started to use labview 2 years ago and i want it on all informatic device! XD. Thank you very much 

Message 1 of 47
(36,183 Views)

Here's the steps to do that:

1) Kudo this thread LabVIEW for Raspberry Pi.

2) Wait until NI makes it possible (might never happen).

3) Follow the instructions.

In other words, it's not possible. LV (Windows nor Linux), won't run on ARM.

If you ever get this working (with QEMU, WINE, VM?) let us know. Eternal fame will be yours.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 47
(36,134 Views)

You can't install the LabVIEW development system on your Raspi. That device is highly underpowered for something like that and as you guessed can't work like that since it uses a different CPU architecture than the x86/64 CPU.

What you can do is installing Lynx 3.0 in your LabVIEW devlopment system on your PC and from there target your Raspi to create and run routines written in LabVIEW on the Raspi.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 3 of 47
(36,130 Views)

Can you elaborate more on the Linux 3 install, LabVIEW dev, and Raspi deploy/use?

Do you install the Linux 3 on your Windows machine, develop your LV drivers on the Linux side of your PC(?), build for Linux, create an .exe and then create an installer for Raspi?

I'm sure I have this wrong, but I'm willing to try if I can get a clear picture of how NI can make this happen.

IF LabVIEW can be deployed and run on a Raspi 3, it opens a whole new world for me and probably others. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 47
(35,595 Views)

It's Linx 3.0, not Linux!

Follow the link in my previous post.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 47
(35,588 Views)

I did follow your link. Sorry, I must have mistyped.

To get back to my question, are there other steps (of which I'm sure there are) that I need to follow to dev my LV drivers on the Win side and then port this to the Raspberry PI 3?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 47
(35,580 Views)

@diverdown wrote:

I did follow your link. Sorry, I must have mistyped.

To get back to my question, are there other steps (of which I'm sure there are) that I need to follow to dev my LV drivers on the Win side and then port this to the Raspberry PI 3?

Thanks

Here you can read the tutorials for Linx: https://www.labviewmakerhub.com/doku.php?id=learn:tutorials:libraries:linx:3-0

This is not OS! This is not linux! 🙂 This is Linx: http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/212478

Spoiler
LINX is an open source project by Digilent and is designed to make it easy to develop embedded applications using LabVIEW. LINX includes VIs for over 30 of the most common embedded sensors as well as hardware agnostic APIs for accessing peripherals like digital I/O, analog I/O, PWM, I2C, SPI, and UART.

Whether you’re remotely controlling a chipKIT or Arduino over USB/Serial, Ethernet or Wi-Fi, or deploying VIs to run on BeagleBone Black or Raspberry Pi 2/3, LINX and LabVIEW make it easy visualize the data you’re working with, debug your code, and create advanced embedded applications faster than ever before.

I have also a Raspberry Pi3, and played a bit with ADCs for DAQ and also with some temperature sensors. Keep in mind, only LabVIEW 2014 supported by Linx for certain tasks, you can read the FAQ section of Makerhub: https://www.labviewmakerhub.com/doku.php?id=libraries:linx:faq#10

(so do not use newer version than LV2014 if you need to do local I/O)

Another option which I tried, I bought the Home edition of the "LabVIEW for Raspberry Pi" product from TSXperts: https://www.tsxperts.com/labviewforraspberrypi/

It supports lots of LabVIEW functions, and it compiles LV code to the RPi directly (you must use a special version of Raspbian from TSxperts on your RPi). I have found the options quite limited with this product, and the GUI does not look too nice (also limited what kind of Front Panel objects you can use). But it worked somewhat. I wanted to use the I2C functions from this product to interface my app running on the RPi board, to an ADC DAQ card (I2C comm protocol). I just could not make it work, and I got zero support from this company, and their dedicated user forum. 

So in the end, I gave it up, I just used the Python code/library available for the ADC card, and broadcast the data via network to the LabVIEW client (PC side). So I would go on the Linx route if I was you....

Message 7 of 47
(35,568 Views)

It really very much depends on the hardware you access and the programming interface. 

If you use a standard NI interface protocol like VISA you can develop on Windows and deploy to the Raspi without much difficulties.

If you use custom interfaces such as I2C or even your very specific hardware with their own shared library drivers (DLLs on Windows, SOs on Raspi) things get more complicated. Basically you need a DLL driver to develop it on Windows which at least exports the same functions as the shared library *.so you have for your Raspi. This is to allow developing the driver VIs at all on Windows. If you also want to be able to run the VIs on Windows to test their operation the exported function not only need to exist as an empty stub but actually implement the whole functionality too. Last but not least the *.so file for the Raspi side specifically needs to be compiled for the ARM CPU architecture used on the Raspi. The typical x86/x64 compiled *.so for your desktop Linux distribution won't work.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 47
(35,550 Views)

Well there is a 7 day free trial.  You can try it and let us know.  I've never used it but yes it is a real product from a real company that has credibility in the LabVIEW community.  It likely works but has limitations which might not become fully realized until you develop a full blown application with it.

Message 10 of 47
(34,584 Views)