From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.Labview executable program doesn't work in some computers

Solved!
Go to solution

Labview after compile to execute file. We distribute program file to other computers for running. It works only some computers but other doesn't work (It seem I don't see any communication activity on devices). We use NI GPIB-USB HS.

It just happened now. Last week every one worked OK. All computers are not changed or update because they are have no online access.The runtime is the same for all. Try to restore from backup back to previous day where they were function but nothing change. I copy some old execute files to different computer than in these group. It works fine. I verified all change but the files are the same before we have problem. Any thing else we should look?

Thanks for your advised. We are using Labview 2017 professional , Driver NI GPIB USB HS ver 18.5.0.49152. windows 10 and 7 variable computers.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,075 Views)

You say you made an executable, but did you make an installer?  As you've probably noticed a LabVIEW program will require one or more runtime engines.  It might also need various drivers and other software packages.  If you want to run your program on a new fresh computer, or ensure that all required components are installed, you should make an installer from the application builder.  This can also do things like make shortcuts to your application.

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019N8tSAE&l=en-US

Modern versions of LabVIEW can detect what runtime engines are required, and can automatically select them from the Additional Installers section.

But even with this there is a chance it won't work out of the box.  Even if the application runs it might not run correctly.  For instance when you plug in a GPIB device it is given a name or alias.  If your program has a hard coded name for that GPIB, and on the new computer the device is given a different name, then it will generate an error when that device name isn't found.  This is why it is important to have basic error handling in your program, so that even if it runs, you can get some errors telling you if it is not running correctly.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,072 Views)

The issue is not from brand new Labview program. The issues for previous working programs stop working from now. Last week our production ran these program without issues. I also try to compile some new program to try but it doesn't work by either communication from equipment. I see the GPIB USB popup but no communication. However, with the identical program I copy to different computer it's OK. My concern is what make these working programs suddenly stop working now without single change.

IT technician verify there is no update in windows neither any thing else changed since last week when they all working well.  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,038 Views)

@HARRY_D wrote:

My concern is what make these working programs suddenly stop working now without single change.

IT technician verify there is no update in windows neither any thing else changed since last week when they all working well.  

A changed happened, one I likely can't guess, and one you haven't discovered.  NI Update Service could have installed something, a user could have changed a setting, MAX could have thought the device was a new one and assigned a new alias, the PC could have slowed down due to any number of reasons (over heating, poor ventilation) causing the software to run slower, causing the behavior of the software to change, maybe a hard drive having issues causing files to corrupt or have read errors, maybe a stick of RAM going bad causing the application behavior to change.  Each of these potential issues has a set of troubleshooting techniques.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,026 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author HARRY_D

If nothing has changed on the software side, it could be some port that has changed identity. If e.g. you move port with a USB to Serial converter they can sometimes change from e.g. Com4 to Com5 (though that's rare nowadays).

Double check your settings in the program and in Max.

Run manually in Max to find the culprit.

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,019 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author HARRY_D

Thanks for support. Yes, the problem solved by get in NI MAX and reset devices and interfaces. The issues is gone not sure what's cause of problem. But it finally works normal.

Message 6 of 6
(2,003 Views)