LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview Community 2020 Edition Activation

Solved!
Go to solution

I have some new information to add.  As I said before I tried about everything I found in the forums to activate CE and nothing worked.  To summarize, I had CE and everything worked until I decided to download SP1 install and activate.  It hasn't worked since.

So I tried to isolate the problem.  Here's what I did.

I had my son create a new account on his computer install CE and activate it.  It did not work.  We are on the same LAN and the same modem.  My other son is temporarily out of state so I had him do the same thing and it worked.  He then deactivated CE and logged into my account and activated CE and it worked.

I have LabVIEW CE and NXG CE on my laptop, so I deactivated it and tried to reactivate it and it didn't work.  My son took my laptop to work and got on their WiFi and tried to activate it and it didn't work.  We then took it to my son's house and got on his WiFi and tried to activate it and it worked.  My next step is to lug my computer down to my son's house and activate CE there. I will let everybody know if it works.

All this leads me to believe that there is something going on with the modem that is not allowing me to activate LabVIEW.  Myself and my son both here and in the other state are using Xfinity for internet service.  All three places have different modems.  My modem is fairly new modem from Xfinity that we got late last year.

I don't know if it is the modem, but everything seems to point there.  I'm hoping someone smarter than me can look at this and maybe realize what is going on come up with a fix.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 61 of 123
(2,569 Views)

@brhanse wrote:

I have some new information to add.  As I said before I tried about everything I found in the forums to activate CE and nothing worked.  To summarize, I had CE and everything worked until I decided to download SP1 install and activate.  It hasn't worked since.

I had my son create a new account on his computer install CE and activate it.  It did not work.  We are on the same LAN and the same modem.  My other son is temporarily out of state so I had him do the same thing and it worked.  He then deactivated CE and logged into my account and activated CE and it worked.

I have LabVIEW CE and NXG CE on my laptop, so I deactivated it and tried to reactivate it and it didn't work.  My son took my laptop to work and got on their WiFi and tried to activate it and it didn't work.  We then took it to my son's house and got on his WiFi and tried to activate it and it worked.  My next step is to lug my computer down to my son's house and activate CE there. I will let everybody know if it works.

All this leads me to believe that there is something going on with the modem that is not allowing me to activate LabVIEW.  Myself and my son both here and in the other state are using Xfinity for internet service.  All three places have different modems.  My modem is fairly new modem from Xfinity that we got late last year.

I don't know if it is the modem, but everything seems to point there.  I'm hoping someone smarter than me can look at this and maybe realize what is going on come up with a fix.

Thanks

While I believe that what you are going to do amounts to killing the fly with a shotgun, but I also believe you are on to something there, at least in your case.  Maybe some kind of network setting - maybe NI uses a port that is blocked in your modem or router, for instance.

And I guess this proves what I've always believed, and that is that a person who is good at troubleshooting can troubleshoot something they know little about.  It's just that the more they know of a subject, the more refined their conclusions can be.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 62 of 123
(2,566 Views)

Hi Geek,

have you already read this whole thread?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 63 of 123
(2,556 Views)

Hello @Mackenzie8907, I am writing to let you know the problem persists.

I have downloaded CE 2020 SP1, it did not activate. I uninstall that and installed CE 2020, it did not activate, then uninstalled that and installed CE 2020 SP1 again, it did not activate, I also tried creating another NI account and using that to activate, it did not activate. I tried your suggestion, it did not activate. I saw (I did not select this but I guess it is default maybe) in License Manager, Professional Development System status is Evaluation (and CE status is Unlicensed), so I thought maybe because of that, and since there is no way to disable evaluation I think, I waited, today it has expired so it says Evaluation Available, and then I tried activating CE (2020 SP1) again using your suggestion, and no it did not activate. What should I do to activate CE ? Re-installing Windows is out of question, but I can try all other suggestions. I am using Windows 10, and I receive "There is no license associated with your NI User account" error and in my products in NI account page I have "LabVIEW Community Edition, Windows, Subscription License". Looking forward to a solution for this.

Mete

Edit: I also tried using Firefox instead of Chrome, and disabling the protection control for ni.com while downloading CE 2020 SP1, because I saw someone mentioned about a popup, but it also did not help.

Message 64 of 123
(2,508 Views)

According to this link, you can request support for activation even if you aren't eligible for engineering support.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 65 of 123
(2,492 Views)

Hi @mete_, 

Could you PM me your email address that you used to download? I will have our IT team look into what's happening with your activation. 

Thanks,

Mackenzie

Message 66 of 123
(2,488 Views)

@billko wrote:

@brhanse wrote:

Thanks

While I believe that what you are going to do amounts to killing the fly with a shotgun, but I also believe you are on to something there, at least in your case.  Maybe some kind of network setting - maybe NI uses a port that is blocked in your modem or router, for instance.

And I guess this proves what I've always believed, and that is that a person who is good at troubleshooting can troubleshoot something they know little about.  It's just that the more they know of a subject, the more refined their conclusions can be.

Hi Billko,

My "shotgun" approach seems to work, at least for my situation.  I now have LabVIEW CE working on my computer again.  It was not as straightforward as I had hoped though.  I downloaded CE SP1 on my computer at home and installed it, but did not activate it.  I then took my computer to my son's house and tried to activate it. It did not work.  I then uninstalled it and downloaded CE not SP1 and installed it at his home.  And when I tried to activate it, it worked.  I don't know if not trying to activate SP1 the second time has any thing to do with it or not. I didn't try to troubleshoot it any farther.  I decided to leave well enough alone.  My purpose for relating my experience is the hope this knowledge will help in coming to a solution of this problem that seems to affect quite a few people.  When I said someone smarter than me might find a solution maybe I should have said with more knowledge of internet.

Message 67 of 123
(2,467 Views)

Yes.

0 Kudos
Message 68 of 123
(2,466 Views)

I had every expectation that you would find the solution just from how you explained your findings.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 69 of 123
(2,446 Views)

Update on my activation problem. I was in touch with @Mackenzie8907 and it seems there is or might be a problem in activation process at the moment if you are using IPv6. I have setup all my home network to use IPv6 by default, so I was using IPv6 for sure. So I have disabled IPv6 on my PC where I run Labview (by unchecking TCP/IPv6 in the properties of the ethernet adapter on Windows 10), and the activation is completed seamlessly. So if you are experiencing problems, and particularly if you are using IPv6, you can try this at the moment until the issue is resolved.

I am almost sure the problems and workarounds mentioned in a few posts above regarding to network/internet connection is related to this, since the use of IPv6 is not very visible to the user normally.

Thanks again @Mackenzie8907 for clarifying the issue.

Mete

Message 70 of 123
(2,331 Views)