LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 64-bit running with 32-bit addons

Solved!
Go to solution

I ran into memory problem loading som data files, and I tried a workaround by installing Labview 64-bit, but found that the add-ons was not installed with it. 

Now I needed to use sound and vibrations toolkit, so (being maybe a little too creative) I copied that toolkit over to the 64-bit Labview folder and everything seems to run.

I can load the files and do my data analysis with no errors.

Now the problem is that I don't really get how a 32-bit add-on can access the memory from the 64-bit core Labview. Does anyone have any ideas on why its running and why I don't get a memory access error.

The results looks ok, but I don’t really trust them, due to the above mentioned problem in accessing memory  between 32-bit and 64-bit.

regards

Henrik

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,746 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gjelstrup

Hi Henrik.

When using LabVIEW 32-bit on a 64-bit machine, all your VIs would run through the Windows-on-Windows emulation layer (WOW64) and this is also why we still have memory limitations on a 64-bit OS.

When you are using LabVIEW 64-bit, and using a 32-bit toolkit, what's actually happening is the 64-bit LabVIEW kernel is recompiling the 32-bit VI into a 64-bit VI. Doing this changes the inherent memory characteristics and performance of the Sound and Vibration VI's (and all 32-bit VIs, for that matter). The newly converted 64-bit VI's, then, are being executed in the native 64-bit LabVIEW kernel.

However, I would strongly advise you to install the toolkit the normal way. In the following document, you can see, that the Sound and Vibration Toolkit / Measurement Suite is in fact supported by a 64-bit version of LabVIEW.

National Instruments Product Compatibility for Microsoft Windows 7

After you install LabVIEW, you need to reinstall all your add-ons and drivers in order for that toolkit / driver to work with LabVIEW. When we install toolkits / driver, we only install support for the LabVIEW versions installed at that time.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards

Alex E. Munkhaus
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
System Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,719 Views)

Hi Alex,

Thanks, it helps and explains the things I had some concerns about.

Regards

Henrik

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,710 Views)