From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 5 VI update help

HI

We have some really old Labview programming we need to make a small adjustment to and need help! We no longer have anyone on staff that knows how to use Labview so any help would be much appreciated!

We are measuring a mv signal and translating to heat flux and it has been working great for several years but the spec has changed and we need to update the equation used to calculate the value on the test.

The first part of the test runs for 1 minute warming up the chamber and calculating a baseline (0) the chamber doors are opened, the specimen is injected and the test ran for a few more minutes. When the doors are opened the temp naturally goes down slightly making our value go below the baseline (0) then climb backup up while the test continues to run.

The new spec is asking that we disregard the values below the baseline. If there's anyone that could provide some guidance here we would be very grateful, the VI's can be made available if necessary!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(2,677 Views)

I recommend you go talk with your local NI representative.  They should be able to hook you up with a local Alliance Partner or Certified Consultant or go ahead and make the adjustments for you (depending on how many changes need done).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(2,660 Views)

I assume the In Range and Coerce were available in LV5. If so, for each measurement, pass it through this block (set lower limit to 0) and it'll be a lower limit. If you want to avoid them completely, i assume you build some array of measurement values, in which case you should only add to this array if above the threshold.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(2,656 Views)

Is this something you can be more specific about? I'm not sure where to start, I can get to the VI's and I believe I have the correct one that's doing the math but I'm not sure about that either.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(2,630 Views)

Wow, you really aren't too sure of a whole lot!

Small changes to code written a decade or two ago are not really small at all.  In fact it can get amazingly complicated.

Toss in obsolete OS, obsolete Test Equipment and no support for the same storage media (I don't have a floppy drive and Win3.1 does not know about my USB Plug-n-Play Thumb-drive) it can get hairy very fast.

You should check out the "Partner Directory" and get some advice from someone who has done that kind of upgrade before and knows how to evaluate the risks.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(2,614 Views)

Hey thanks a lot buddy, I think I'm also going to toss in lackluster LV consultant and try keepin your mouth shut without anything good to say.

That-fit-on-your-thumb-drive

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(2,609 Views)

@TTFjwebby wrote:

Hey thanks a lot buddy, I think I'm also going to toss in lackluster LV consultant and try keepin your mouth shut without anything good to say.

That-fit-on-your-thumb-drive

That was a little uncalled for.  We understand that you need help.  But the problem is that it would take any of us time to figure out your code and then make updates to it.  We do these forums on a volunteer basis.  We have jobs that pay the bills.  And this is sounding like it could take time to figure out.  More time than 99.9% of us are willing to put into an issue on the forums.  If you have quick questions about how something works, we are here to help.  If you want someone to figure out your entire project and make the changes you need, then you need to go out and hire somebody.  That is why I recommended talking with your local NI representative.  Let them help hook you up with somebody they trust to do the job right.

Or just hire Jeff.  He likes obsolesence issues.Smiley Wink

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(2,595 Views)

Wait a second, I'm out of line but this is OK?

"

Wow, you really aren't too sure of a whole lot!

Small changes to code written a decade or two ago are not really small at all.  In fact it can get amazingly complicated.

Toss in obsolete OS, obsolete Test Equipment and no support for the same storage media (I don't have a floppy drive and Win3.1 does not know about my USB Plug-n-Play Thumb-drive) it can get hairy very fast."

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(2,588 Views)

We are more than willing to hire a consultant this is a business, I dont think the insults were necessary.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(2,585 Views)
The only insults came from you. Jeff was trying to explain how complex the problem was and your complete lack of knowledge of LabVIEW made any suggestions made here would be a waste of time. You don't even realize that many/most of us cannot even open a 5.1 program because it is incompatible with the latest versions of LabVIEW. You are certainly free to download the latest version on a trial basis and take the free tutorials. That should give you enough understanding to make the changes yourself.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(2,579 Views)