cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 2020, Win 11, MSMQ

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I had a report from a user that my Labview application crashed, and part of the crash report mentioned MSMQ (Microsoft Message Queue).  I've never heard of MSMQ before, but I've been told that it's been deprecated by MS and is not supported in Win 11.  Can anyone shed any light on this for me?  I don't know for sure that this is a Labview problem, but it seems like good place to start.

Thanks,

Tom 

Thomas Lentzner - CLD
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,247 Views)
Solution
Accepted by TLentzner

Look at the Windows vs LabVIEW compatibility chart here and you will find that your combination of Windows and LabVIEW versions are not officially supported.  I've heard that, unlike past combinations of unsupported configurations, this one appears to be somewhat problematic.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,245 Views)

Thanks!

Win 11 hasn't made it to my world yet, but apparently it has to my customer 🙂  It didn't even cross my mind that LV 2020 would not be compatible with Win 11. I try not to be on the newest version of LV, but I guess I don't have any choice here.  

Thomas Lentzner - CLD
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,240 Views)

I honestly doubt that LabVIEW itself interfaces in any way, flavor or whatever with MSMQ. It would seem a technology that makes little sense to use by LabVIEW. It is also technically not correct that MSMQ is removed from Windows 11. What got removed, or rather never added, is support for System.Messaging namespace to .Net Core. But it’s still supported by the .Net Framework. Considering that LabVIEW has even in the latest version no notion of .Net Core at all, it seems a very strange idea, that LabVIEW could complain about a missing MSMQ interface.

My guess is that something else is complaining, maybe a 3rd party driver that you also integrated in the application.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,201 Views)

I'm using a LabJack daq device, and I'm calling excel macros from inside LabView (I forget exactly which library that uses).  I talked to an engineer at LabJack and they swear they have nothing to do with MSMQ.

I didn't see the crash report, so I don't really know what happened.   

Thomas Lentzner - CLD
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,192 Views)

@TLentzner wrote:

I'm using a LabJack daq device, and I'm calling excel macros from inside LabView (I forget exactly which library that uses).  I talked to an engineer at LabJack and they swear they have nothing to do with MSMQ.

I didn't see the crash report, so I don't really know what happened.   

It indeed makes even less sense that LabJack would interface to this, but unknown dependencies can happen. Considering that LabVIEW currently doesn't even know how to initialize .Net Core, and you can't use .Net Core functions unless the process initialized it properly during startup, it is actually even more obscure as even if an unknown component dependency in LabVIEW or LabJack would try to invoke .Net Core functions it would immediately fail, unless it really goes out of its way to try to remote call that .Net Core functionality in some proxy process.

All in all, it looks and sounds like a crash report from hear saying, whose factual details may be as accurate as a gossip story.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,096 Views)