LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview 2017 - Centos 7

I mean, 2017 is probably better than 2016, so if you're buying it, get the new one. I just meant, if you're using a demo, probably most people on the forum can't help you. I think speaking with Sales is the way to go.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 28
(1,636 Views)

@Muri777 wrote:

Will we ever see vector graphics or an update to the way it looks?

Yes.

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 28
(1,627 Views)

NI-VISA definitely is required but I would expect the Initialization VI to already generate an error if it wasn't. Might still be a problem with a incomplete or corrupted VISA installation.

As to the necessary VISA version, it doesn't really have to be the same as the LabVIEW version. They are very much independent of each other so just about any NI-VISA version for Linux, which isn't ancient, should work. 

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 28
(1,596 Views)

Hello guys, 

My view point Labview for Linux, at this time not mature enough. Maybe NI doesn't want to use Labview on Linux.

At this time I'm considerring to buy a more eficcient desktop and change my notebook for new configuration.

Labview at this time I don't want to buy LInux version, and NI for the other side doesn't want to buy anyway.

thank you for all for support and kindneess.

I tried to use for more than 4 weeks, and the results was very poor, even basic stuffs like read/write serial are very hard.
About NI support they always say the same. LInux has no support.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 28
(1,585 Views)

The error code generated is a timeout error from the VISA write function. Serial communication with an instrument may need each message to end with a termination character (depends on the instrument). It tells the instrument that you are done transmitting that message.

If this termination character is not sent, the VISA write may timeout. The termination character may also be platform dependent. Windows for instance may automatically append the CR/LF characters to any serial message you send, depending on how you set up the serial port. I don't know the default Linux serial configuration.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 28
(1,582 Views)

No, VISA definitely doesn't automatically append <CR><LF> to a message, Windows or not Windows. You can configure it to automatically append <CR> or <LF> to outgoing messages, but it doesn't do that by default.

A timeout error on VISA Write is very rare and usually indicates some problem in VISA to interface to the underlying serial port system API. It can happen on Windows too, with some less than perfect COMM drivers, especially with low cost USB virtual COMM interfaces.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 28
(1,576 Views)

Yes, you alright

I try about this (append <CR> or <LF>) but no success. For me the problem is about ttyUSB0 and ttyACM0. In fact I try to use arduino with old serial version and then works!

I means, if i use arduino and 'he' (arduino) start with USB0 I can Have some success  with visa write, but for another hand, when linux start with tty ACM0, the visa write fail.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 28
(1,551 Views)

Sounds familiar. Had similar problems with the NI Linux RT system on cRIO platforms. The reason most likely is that the user who you start your LabVIEW session in doesn't have the right access rights to /dev/ttyACM0 when using a USB to RS-232 adapter on there. And this is not a VISA problem in fact but more a problem with how the Linux device driver system is setup. And to make it all more interesting and because it is Linux, there are of course several different systems of autoinstalling device modules when pluging the according hardware in. And each Linux distribution has its own preference which of these systems it likes and when it will switch from one of them to another between releases. After all this is all Linux, with the freedom to develop a new subsystem for a problem, rather than resolving that problem in the existing subsystem, since that subsystem wasn't developed here and uses the wrong shell, script language or intention style! Smiley Very Happy

<irony>Or the new developer simply doesn't like the original developer for their hair cut, skin color or whatever else!</irony>

You will have to find out what auto install module subsystem your distribution uses. The two I have worked with in the past are the older mdev system and the newer udev one. They are similar in what they do but use slightly different configuration files and approaches. Most likely you would use udev nowaday, unless Gentoo has for whatever strange reasons some direct mdev involvment and prefers to go through the troubles to replace the kernel default udev with this one for their distribution.

This post is for the cRIO system from National Instruments but applies to other Linux installations as well for the most part. Since your device is an ATmega based USB serial port you will want to look at the ttyACMn related changes.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 28
(1,543 Views)

@Muri777 wrote:

Side note but when will the LabVIEW UI become prettier? Will we ever see vector graphics or an update to the way it looks? It still looks old and outdated...

LabVIEW still looks more modern than Windows 8 and 10 with their "tiles", flat color scheme, and 90 degree square corners.

I think the Aero theme (Vista Windows7) is the most modern looking GUI.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 28
(1,527 Views)

I will be happy if this is works.

Ok guys, now I have 2015 labview linux 64 bits- and still doesn't work.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 28
(1,519 Views)