LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabView Rant - lack of Express node support

@BertMcMahan wrote:

Also, if you are JUST looking to log data to files and not do any actual programming, NI's FlexLogger program might help you out. It's super easy to set up random data collection schemes, plot them, save them to files, etc. You can't do any programming in it outside of a few triggers ("start recording data when this analog value goes above 2 V") but it's very easy to collect data from cDAQ chassis.

Along the same lines is DAQExpress.  I'm not sure if it is compatible with cDAQ (at one point it was USB DAQ only), but it is FREE.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 26
(908 Views)

@Rich_Tennant_Tech wrote:

Recently I wrote a program...

Used mostly "Express" nodes...

IMHO: "Express VIs were made for those LabVIEW Seminars Sales Pitches to show managers and other non-programmers how you can "just throw something together and be collecting data in minutes".

But once the sales pitch is over they should be treated like Sequence structure. If you catch yourself grabbing one, stop, and take a step back because there is probably a better way.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 12 of 26
(879 Views)

Re: LabView Rant - lack of Express node support

Recently I wrote a program...

Used mostly "Express" nodes...

IMHO: "Express VIs were made for those LabVIEW Seminars Sales Pitches to show managers and other non-programmers how you can "just throw something together and be collecting data in minutes".

But once the sales pitch is over they should be treated like Sequence structure. If you catch yourself grabbing one, stop, and take a step back because there is probably a better way.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That could be but I can say that we do have a couple of cDaq 9171 chassis and they work great for that.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 26
(855 Views)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

crossrulz (Knight of NI) posted a new reply in LabVIEW on 07-24-2020 10:54 AM

I'd heartily recommend avoiding ExpressVI's as much as possible, especially for tests that run over long periods of time.

See this article:

https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/documentation/supplemental/06/learn-10-functions-in-ni-daqmx-and-ha...

Also, if you are JUST looking to log data to files and not do any actual programming, NI's FlexLogger program might help you out. It's super easy to set up random data collection schemes, plot them, save them to files, etc. You can't do any programming in it outside of a few triggers ("start recording data when this analog value goes above 2 V") but it's very easy to collect data from cDAQ chassis.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Didn't know about the FlexLogger program, I'll have to check it out - thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 26
(849 Views)

Proven Zealot

On a side note, it would be really nice if there was an Express node that would "Globally" control data speeds so that different modules (like a 9211 vs. 9239) could run at the same scan time and not crash from a buffer error.

That would suit you, but not everybody. People will complain they can't run different modules at different speeds.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That's fine, having a node that can run everything at one speed would just be another option in our tool box - something that you would only use if needed and not used if you wanted to run at different speeds.  Not wanting to change the game, just expand its capability.

Another option to that would be to let a higher speed card run at that higher speed but then have a node that would average that back down to a common speed.  So then I would be getting a the lower scan rate that I'm looking for (average of 1 second) but then not have to worry about a buffer over run.

Or just make it possible to specify that any card can run at any speed requested as long as it doesn't exceed its max speed design limit or cause a buffer over run - or any other unseen error caused by running too slow. 

Case in point would be a test I'm running right now on 12 water pumps set to run for 3000 hours (estimated full life) - we're looking at case temperature (9211 card) and current (measured with a shunt into a 9239 card).  The 9211 maxes out at 15 Hz, the 9239 wants to run at 4 times that and to prevent a buffer over run you need to average the 9239 readings.  Which seems kind of silly, why not just make it possible to run them all at a lower speed and be done with it?

Our solution was to pay a company to write a program that will save data at a 1 second interval across all channels.  Sad but true.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 26
(837 Views)

Proven Zealot

On a side note, it would be really nice if there was an Express node that would "Globally" control data speeds so that different modules (like a 9211 vs. 9239) could run at the same scan time and not crash from a buffer error.

That would suit you, but not everybody. People will complain they can't run different modules at different speeds.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That's fine, having a node that can run everything at one speed would just be another option in our tool box - something that you would only use if needed and not used if you wanted to run at different speeds.  Not wanting to change the game, just expand its capability.

Another option to that would be to let a higher speed card run at that higher speed but then have a node that would average that back down to a common speed.  So then I would be getting a the lower scan rate that I'm looking for (average of 1 second) but then not have to worry about a buffer over run.

Or just make it possible to specify that any card can run at any speed requested as long as it doesn't exceed its max speed design limit or cause a buffer over run - or any other unseen error caused by running too slow. 

Case in point would be a test I'm running right now on 12 water pumps set to run for 3000 hours (estimated full life) - we're looking at case temperature (9211 card) and current (measured with a shunt into a 9239 card).  The 9211 maxes out at 15 Hz, the 9239 wants to run at 4 times that and to prevent a buffer over run you need to average the 9239 readings.  Which seems kind of silly, why not just make it possible to run them all at a lower speed and be done with it?

Our solution was to pay a company to write a program that will save data at a 1 second interval across all channels.  Sad but true.

If you press the quote button, you get the post you're quoting in a formatted way. It's the " icon...

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 26
(833 Views)

Proven Zealot

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm not that into DAQmx, so really can't comment on that.

But in general, suggesting a global to fix things in not a good idea. In this case, it seems you want a global speed? Or just a global default speed?

If you really thing it will help people, you can suggest it in the idea exchange. Probably the Data-Acquisition-Idea-Exchange.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 26
(827 Views)

I don't have a quote button, only a reply button - strange.

As for your last question my thinking is that I should be able to specify a global speed for the program AND data saving as long as I do not exceed the speed of any card. 

Consider that I'm measuring several pumps at one time and in several ways (VDC, temp and PSI), if my PSI spikes or falls off with all the data scanned at the same rate in the same spreadsheet it would be easy to ID what happened.  If those 3 points were all saved at different rates I would need a separate spreadsheet for each and graphing each channel (because the different number of points) would be confusing.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 26
(814 Views)

You get that button in your reply window, or rather above your reply entry:

Quote.PNG

On narrow screens (mobile) you might have to press ... first.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 26
(792 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

You get that button in your reply window, or rather above your reply entry:

Quote.PNG

On narrow screens (mobile) you might have to press ... first.

Do you know how long it took me to find that quote button?  When they switched from having the quote button on the bottom to putting it on the tool bar, it messed me up for at least a few weeks... so finally I stopped to ask for directions.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 26
(760 Views)