LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW using wrong paths

Solved!
Go to solution

How do I clear all VI paths held in memory in LabVIEW? 

A vendor gave me a set of VIs to incorporate into a program, and it came with a bunch of packed libraries that are part of the default vi.lib. In trying to get their code to work, I resolved all conflicts in favor of the vendor's libraries thinking they had been modified, and everything worked fine. I packed it all into an EXE and shipped it. 

Today, I've returned to supporting an old product and now all of my libraries point to the vendor program. The Error.png file shows you what I see any time I open ANY project that uses any VI with an identical name to a VI held in the EOL Tool (vendor library). This is a massive problem because I've deleted the EOL Tool files, and while I could put them back on, that's a bad idea. It would cause all of my projects to reference a non-existent directory on other developer's computers. 

Right now I'm focusing on NI_AALBase.lvlib in the VI.lib directory. When I open this file, I see several VIs referencing the EOL Tool directory. Since the files are gone, the message pops up and I select the correct VI. However, that doesn't fix the path in the lvlib. Nothing seems to get this path to change. I tried changing the directory in the lvlib file as a forum poster suggested in a 2012 thread, but that just made it so the file wouldn't open.

What I would like to do right now is revert my LabVIEW libraries to a state before I dealt with the vendor tool. I currently can't compile any of our products, nor can I share code changes with co-workers because it references things in the vendor tool.

So, does anyone know how to clear all of the paths that labview knows about?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,440 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MDumas

Try this:

Open LabVIEW IDE >> Tools >> Options >> Paths.  Select "VI Search Path" from dropdown.  Uncheck "use default" and you should be able to add custom paths to search to the TOP of the list there.  Add custom path(s) that point to the desired directory that you want your projects to pull from.  Hopefully that will make LabVIEW search those paths first and re-link correctly when you open your projects.

Alternatively, uninstalling then reinstalling the LabVIEW IDE will probably resolve this issue.

Message 2 of 3
(3,427 Views)

This didn't completely solve the issue, but it definitely helped a lot. 

Thank you so much! 

For anyone else that sees this in the future, the solution for me was the following: 

1. Go through all of the path options you'll find when following the directions in the marked solution, and uncheck that box for everything. Also remove any directories that shouldn't be there. 
  2. Open up all of the files impacted by the wrong paths, Recompile them with Shift+CTRL and clicking the white arrow. 
  3. Save all of the changes. 
  4. Open all the LLBs and their associated VIs inside of them. 
  5. Recompile all of the VIs in the LLBs. 
  6. Open the Application Build properties. 
  7. Go to the Additional Exclusions tab. 
  8. Check off the following:
    1. Remove Unused polymorphic VI instances
    2. Remove unused members of project libraries
    3. Modify project library file after removing unused members
    4. Disconnect ununsed inline subVIs
  9. Save all
  10. Rebuild the application.

After all of that, my projects are working again, and none of the paths seem to have an issue.

Message 3 of 3
(3,398 Views)