From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW proverbs!

Following an M.C. Escher quote I posted on another thread ("I don't use drugs. My dreams are frightening enough", for those who care) I remembered this one which I'm sure will appeal to anyone who's ever used LabVIEW:

=========================================
"My work is a game. A very serious game".
=========================================

And another which will appeal to all those people trying to help other people with hard to read code:

=================================================
"We adore chaos because we try to produce order".
=================================================

Truly, one of the greatest artists ever. An original thinker and a great inspiration.
This one is for Ben: "Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. I think it's in my basement... let me go upstairs and check".

Hi tst,

your comment reminded me of two pearls of wisdom that I received from previous supervisors.

1)
After becoming frustrated with a problem I was not making any progress on I was told,

"NO, you never quit! As long you never quit you can never fail, you are just still working on it!" (Senior Chief Petty Officer, USN circa 1978).

2)
While trying to do something that had never been done before, I was told,

"When you are running in the dark, it is the lead sled dog that runs into the tree." ( Ernie Dale, District Manager, Digital Equipment Corpoartion, circa 1985).

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 32 of 305
(8,464 Views)
I came into this thread hoping for a good laugh......only to find I'm guilty of 95% of the code writing no-no's you guys are mocking!!! Waaaahhhhh!!!!
Amateur programmer for over 10 years!
Message 33 of 305
(8,446 Views)
No sweat, Spif. All that no-globals-no-locals-no-non-strict-type-defs-no-nothing stuff is only for LabVIEW gods like Dennis or Ben or Charly or Rolf...
They work and the rest of us mortals can use them and learn slowly how to work without them. Even NI uses them.

I know this is not a proverb, but it is part of life as a LabView user..
(hopefully not too many share this type of experience)

I have to post what my boss told me the very first week when LabView was a new toy..

(back in the 90's...)

BOSS (yelling): "Don't think... Just do!!! I don't pay you to think!!!! I pay you to DO!!!"

ME: " I have to design how we are going to implement this"

BOSS (yelling louder): "I buy the tools! Now do!!! I pay you to do, so do it!!! Stop thinking!!! I do the thinking around here!!!!!"

BOSS (storms out of the office)

============================================================================================================
MORAL of the STORY:

LabView is a development tool. Not a pre-done, ready for everything, user interface that only requires an installation to automate tests.

If your boss does not understand this. Let him show you how he thinks it's done. (then quit)
=============================================================================================================
Message 35 of 305
(8,421 Views)

@tst wrote:
No sweat, Spif. All that no-globals-no-locals-no-non-strict-type-defs-no-nothing stuff is only for LabVIEW gods like Dennis or Ben or Charly or Rolf...
They work and the rest of us mortals can use them and learn slowly how to work without them. Even NI uses them.

WHAT??? you admit to using LOCALS !!????!!!

😠

Ok... maybe once in a while... (when no-one is looking) ... it is okay to consider using them... maybe to debug the code..

well.. my buddy always uses Globals..

... I dunno...

hummm...

well.. as long as you don't use ALL the above within a single vi.. 😄

And if you do, please post the vi 😉

😄 😄 😄
Message 36 of 305
(8,424 Views)
Wow, Joe! I once had an assembly language prof in college who kept confusing the class on a certain programming issue and he finally got frustrated and told the class "Don't understand it! Just do it!" Now I know where he went to work!

Although I must say, if there was one thing I learned in college that describes engineering, that phrase would be it! Don't understand it - just do it.

Okay, here's my LabView proverb:

"There are hundreds of ways to do what you want to do in LabView. But your way is the wrong way."
Message 37 of 305
(8,424 Views)

@Spaceman spif wrote:
"There are hundreds of ways to do what you want to do in LabView. But your way is the wrong way."

OUTCH!!!!

😄
Message 38 of 305
(8,424 Views)
Besides, my program has a ton of LOCAL VARIABLES and they rock! 🙂

I think locals make the code look easier to read, easier to write, and are lower in carbohydrates. Just my opinion though. And I'm just a self-taught newbie, so take it for what it's worth!
Message 39 of 305
(8,426 Views)
""I think locals make the code look easier to read, easier ...""

But you need to watch for any "ghostly" race conditions
Message 40 of 305
(8,413 Views)