LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW proverbs!

Seen here. Courtesy of one of my favorite Forum Contributors Smiley Wink

"Using Express vis can help you write code FAST, but don't usually write the fast code." 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 271 of 305
(1,987 Views)

I mentioned to my boss today

Ben: "I am going through the LV 2016 release notes since I finally installed it."

He replied

Boss: "Just in time for 2017!"

I answered saying

Ben: "I view software the same way I look at driving. I want to be close enough to witness the accident, while not being involved myself."

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 272 of 305
(1,910 Views)

@Ben wrote:

I mentioned to my boss today

Ben: "I am going through the LV 2016 release notes since I finally installed it."

He replied

Boss: "Just in time for 2017!"

I answered saying

Ben: "I view software the same way I look at driving. I want to be close enough to witness the accident, while not being involved myself."

Ben

LOL - always wait for the patch.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 273 of 305
(1,893 Views)

In this thread Ben posted;

"If you give a man fish he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to wire a LabVIEW Program he will eat for a lifetime."

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 274 of 305
(1,643 Views)

Not a direct LabVIEW quote, but we've all been kicked by this fellow at least once:

"CSV is not a format. it is a donkey with a sharp stick taped to its forehead. the stick can be any length, and it's not always a donkey."

And sometimes the CSV file is not a CSV file, it is a "spreadsheet" file; separated not by commas but tabs (or any other punctuation) instead.

Hee Haw!

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

Message 275 of 305
(1,600 Views)

I had a run in with an associate where we poke fun at each other.  He asked how I was coding something to limit access.

Me: Binary

Other: <Odd Look> What do you mean?

Me: <Fist held in air, middle finger blinking up and down>

Other: <Laughter> Gotcha.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
Message 276 of 305
(1,608 Views)

"NI Week is like a high school reunion that you actually want to go to."

- Ed Dickens

Message 277 of 305
(1,605 Views)

@Ben wrote:

"If you give a man fish he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to wire a LabVIEW Program he will eat for a lifetime."

Ben

You should qualify that to be "If you give a man fish he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to correctly wire a LabVIEW Program he will eat for a lifetime."

If they don't learn correctly, they will get tangled up in their net and drown.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 278 of 305
(1,585 Views)

@billko wrote:

@Ben wrote:

Ben

You should qualify that to be "If you give a man fish he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to correctly wire a LabVIEW Program he will eat for a lifetime."

If they don't learn correctly, they will get tangled up in their net and drown.  😉

I think Ben meant "If I Teach..."  But some others would be good examples tooSmiley Very Happy

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 279 of 305
(1,579 Views)

Read this today - written by Rolfk (thread😞

Without a really thorough code review of your software by someone who is experienced, fiddling with such settings [compiler optimization] is like putting rocket fuel in a lawn mower and hoping to get your lawn done quicker that way.

GCentral
Message 280 of 305
(1,543 Views)