LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW memory management changes in 2009-2011?

Yes.

 

The challenge when working with performance (memory CPU or other) is that to decalre ti abug we should show that the behaviour deiffers from the spec. In this case, there is no spec, so hard to decalre a bug.

 

We'll see what develops.

 

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 22
(666 Views)

Hi Ben and Matthew,

 

Thanks for clarifying Matthew.  I've spent a good amount of time today looking into what may be causing the increased memory usage with the variants from 8.6 to 2009.  Ben has had the same reasoning as I, that this has something to do with the change in compiler.  I've been able to confirm the results of memory test 1 using LabVIEW 2011 on my computer, and I'm working to reproduce the results of the 8.6 results as well.  If those results are the same as in the table, then I will go ahead and file the CAR.  Either way, I will reply to the thread with my results.

 

Matthew, what OS are you using to run the VIs?

 

Thanks,

Message 12 of 22
(636 Views)

Eric,

 

I am using Win7 32 bit, but in 8.6 at least, the memory usage is basically the same on XP SP3.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 22
(636 Views)

@Eric-M wrote:

Hi Ben and Matthew,

 

Thanks for clarifying Matthew.  I've spent a good amount of time today looking into what may be causing the increased memory usage with the variants from 8.6 to 2009.  Ben has had the same reasoning as I, that this has something to do with the change in compiler.  I've been able to confirm the results of memory test 1 using LabVIEW 2011 on my computer, and I'm working to reproduce the results of the 8.6 results as well.  If those results are the same as in the table, then I will go ahead and file the CAR.  Either way, I will reply to the thread with my results.

 

Matthew, what OS are you using to run the VIs?

 

Thanks,


Eric,

 

Please share the CAR once created.

 

Matthew,

 

Please accept my thanks for giving us the "heads-up". Like when driving, I prefer to be a bystander. Thanks for taking the wheel a drivning off into the darkness.

 

Ben

 


 

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 22
(616 Views)

Hi Ben and Matthew,

 

I was able to reproduce the results locally using both LabVIEW 8.6 and LabVIEW 2011, so I filed the CAR just now.  The CAR request number is 321353.

 

Thanks,

Message 15 of 22
(583 Views)

@Eric-M wrote:

Hi Ben and Matthew,

 

I was able to reproduce the results locally using both LabVIEW 8.6 and LabVIEW 2011, so I filed the CAR just now.  The CAR request number is 321353.

 

Thanks,


 

Thanks for the CAR!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 22
(578 Views)

Does anyone have a good work around for this until the issue is resolved?

 

Thanks,

Craig

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 22
(537 Views)

No I do not know of a work-around beside the obvious, Don't upgrade Don't use var...).

 

BUT...

 

With a CAR number you should be able to call NI and ask what is the work-around?

 

If there are work-arounds, it would be included in the CAR info.

 

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 22
(531 Views)

Craig,

 

As I mentioned in my original post, dropping Request Memory Deallocation VIs helped this somewhat.  I couldn't get back to LV8.6 usage, but was able to get my code to release enough memeory to at least make it through the import without crashing.  The best place I had it was in the DB Toolkit VI, but of course, that will get lost at some point if I move the code to another PC or upgrade the DB Toolkit.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 22
(525 Views)

So, I have 2012 now, and figured I would update this thread with the info.  The issue has not been resolved.  All memory measurements done using task manager and are in kb.

 

  Open LV Open VI Run 1 Run 2 Run 3 Close VI
Mem Test 73848 73764 680456 1070388 1070388 1007132
Mem Test 2 73784 73800 590220 590220 590208 543376

 

  Open LV Open VI VI Run Close VI
Mem Test 6 72288 193532 255544 242696
Mem Test 7 73868 132340 132340 126452
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 22
(410 Views)