LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW forwards compatibility

Hello

I have a more general question this time. 

Why does LabVIEW have absolutely no forwards compatibility between versions?

If i'm running 2019 version i can't open 2020, even though most of the functions are either the same or not that different between versions. Even if the changed functions appeared as missing (similar to not having drivers/toolkit and opening VI with said drivers/toolkit), it'd be better than nothing at all.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,162 Views)

LabVIEW does have forward compatibility. What you are describing sounds like you are missing some add-on. What files is LabVIEW not finding?

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,129 Views)

I'll give an example of some VI from this forum, this is the error message i get, when i try to open it:

AeroSoul_0-1620290789266.png

from this thread:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Parallel-while-loops/td-p/4148021

As it says i'm running Labview 2019 and the VI was created in Labview 2020. 

Unless the file is saved in an older format, AFAIK you can't open it on older versions.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,117 Views)

I misunderstood what you asked for. 

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,109 Views)

The file formats change periodically to make them more efficient.  You can't expect LabVIEW 8.0 to understand a LabVIEW 2020 VI because the format has changed so much.  LabVIEW NXG had plans for "epochs" where versions inside of an epoch range would be able to open any VI saved within that epoch range.

However, there is the File->Save For Previous that you can use to downconvert a VI from 2020 to 2019.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,087 Views)

Of course not, but at least functions could be converted to closest representation of them in older versions.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,079 Views)

@AeroSoul wrote:

Of course not, but at least functions could be converted to closest representation of them in older versions.

Well, the VI has to be read to figure out which functions are there.  And since the format of the VI file changes, LabVIEW cannot even know what functions are in there.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,075 Views)