LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW development environment not working properly

Hi Folks,

I am currently using LabVIEW 2017 development environment & facing a weird issue which I am describing below.

1. After I open LabVIEW & start working on it everything works fine until my FIRST RIGHT CLICK on any block diagram object.
  2. After the right click, the environment hangs for a while and opens some other screen (some other VI front panels which was previously opened)
  3. Its even fine till here but things worsen when I start running my code & debugging, when I open some vi something else gets opened.
  4. The VIs which are set as modal also do not open on the screen. I have to use windows function Windows+Tab to see the GUI of those VI s called as modal.
  5. Double clicking on the probe window to find the probe is also not working.

Until now I have tried uninstalling & reinstalling the environment. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(1,413 Views)

Not too helpful (this post), I'm afraid... This could be anything...

I'd suspect (at least):

• A video, mouse, keyboard and\or other driver problem\incompatibility. 
  • A keyboard key and\or mouse button that's stuck.
  • Multiple screen problem\incompatibility.
  • A corrupt ini file. That might or might not (shouldn't?) be removed on an uninstall.

@Vkas1 wrote:
  1. After I open LabVIEW & start working on it everything works fine until my FIRST RIGHT CLICK on any block diagram object.

Everything? What have you tried?

Any problems with other programs?

Is there anything like AutoHotKey running?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(1,397 Views)

Thanks for your reply, I am putting all answers below:

• A video, mouse, keyboard and\or other driver problem\incompatibility.  - "not possible, issue only happens after my FIRST RIGHT CLICK on block diagram object "
  • A keyboard key and\or mouse button that's stuck. - "Is there a way to check that? still i have very less hopes because All other applications are working fine"
  • Multiple screen problem\incompatibility.  - " I am using single monitor"
  • A corrupt ini file. That might or might not (shouldn't?) be removed on an uninstall. - "nothing got deleted, if it was the case it would have recovered after the reinstall"

Everything? What have you tried? "All LabVIEW VIs and other stuff open on my laptop work fine"

Any problems with other programs? "Yes, after this problem is encountered I am unable to do anything"

Is there anything like AutoHotKey running? "No"

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(1,357 Views)

It feels like an "noisy" mouse button doing double-clicks when you want a single click.  For t-shooting purposes, try another mouse.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(1,348 Views)

FYI, I feel this should be the very first thing to try - maybe not due to the percentage that it will be the right thing, but because it will eliminate just about everything to do with the mouse.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(1,346 Views)

@Vkas1 wrote:
  • A corrupt ini file. That might or might not (shouldn't?) be removed on an uninstall. - "nothing got deleted, if it was the case it would have recovered after the reinstall"

It should be deleted.

If you uninstall programs, typically, settings files are not deleted. If one of those files is corrupt, a reinstall won't fix them.

The point is that an uninstall doesn't remove everything. If things that remain are corrupt, uninstall\reinstall won't help.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(1,330 Views)

"FIRST RIGHT CLICK"

Could it be a right-click plugin that is misbehaving? Remove all of them and see what happens.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 7 of 12
(1,300 Views)

@thols wrote:

"FIRST RIGHT CLICK"

Could it be a right-click plugin that is misbehaving? Remove all of them and see what happens.

Good one.

These will also remain 'installed' after uninstalling LabVIEW.

So, uninstall\install won't fix this.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(1,295 Views)

System mouse is not a problem I have tried the same with a different mouse.

Is there any way I can do a clean LabVIEW installation? If yes can someone let me know which particular files should i remove. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(1,263 Views)

These 4 locations are places where LabVIEW looks for code to run when you right-click on things:

• <LabVIEW Data>\PopupMenus\edit time panel and diagram—Contains LLBs of plug-ins that affect edit-time front panel and block diagram objects used by all versions of LabVIEW.
  • <LabVIEW Data>\PopupMenus\run time diagram—Contains LLBs of plug-ins that affect run-time block diagram objects used by all versions of LabVIEW.
  • labview\resource\plugins\PopupMenus\edit time panel and diagram—Contains LLBs of plug-ins that affect edit-time front panel and block diagram objects used by this version of LabVIEW only.
  • labview\resource\plugins\PopupMenus\run time diagram—Contains LLBs of plug-ins that affect run-time block diagram objects used by this version of LabVIEW only.

"<LabVIEW Data>" is usually in your user-specific "Documents" folder.  It doesn't get removed when you uninstall a specific LabVIEW version, so if you have a right-click problem that persists between uninstalls and reinstalls, it is more likely to be in there.

For the other two, "labview" means the LabVIEW install directory for your version and bitness.  For instance, 32-bit LabVIEW 2018 will be "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2018".

If you look in those folders, you will see LLB files, and you can stop LabVIEW from using them by deleting them or moving them elsewhere.  If you move them all out and it fixes your right-click problem, then you can move them back in one at a time and see which one is causing the issue and troubleshoot it further if it's a feature you use, or let it stay missing if you don't need it.

Message 10 of 12
(1,244 Views)