From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW crashes in development environment but not in executable

Solved!
Go to solution

I am building a fairly complex program to acquire measurements from several different instruments at once via serial connections. Recently, LabVIEW has been crashing nearly every time I run my VI, sometimes immediately and other times after a few minutes. Specifically, when I start the program and interact with the front panel (e.g. clicking on different controls), LabVIEW hangs and I have to forcibly close the program through Windows. Now the strange thing is, LabVIEW crashes in the development environment, but doesn't when I build the executable. 

LabVIEW does not report an error before closing so there is no error log, but there is a minidump file in the LVInternalReports folder which is indicating some sort of access violation error (Exception code 0xC0000005). In addition to the minidump file, I've attached a Windows Error Report file.  I've been wrestling with this all day and can't seem to figure it out. Any insight would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,289 Views)

I think the cause has something to do with references or property nodes. I've replicated the error in a simple VI that I've attached. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,228 Views)

Hi,

Can you give me more information on your setup? What instruments are you using? This crash can happen for various reasons.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,223 Views)
  • You did not include the typdefs, but once I disconnect them to be able to run, it does not crash. If you suspect the typdefs, attach them too.
  • Why are you using a property node to read the cluster value instead of wiring to the control?
  • I don't think there is any need to close any of these references anywhere.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,220 Views)

It seems like it has something to do with the typedefs. I had no problem running the program when I disconnected the typedefs as well. I've uploaded the typdefs in this zip file. I was also able to reproduce the error in LabVIEW 2018 32-bit as well as 64-bit. 

This program is essentially a small snippet of a much larger program where the cluster needs to be read from elsewhere in the block diagram, which is why I used a property node there.  The error still persists when I wire the control directly.  

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,210 Views)

After some more digging, I think I've figured out the simplest case for this error. If I have a disabled cluster control with a string element with a vertical scroll bar  then my program will randomly hang and crash- see attached. 

Unless this is something strange with my computer, I think this is a bug on NI's (or Microsoft's) side. 

Message 6 of 12
(3,191 Views)

Yes, I got it to crash at iteration 109 using LabVIEW 2018 (automatic crash report submitted). Looks like an obscure bug.

(I made an entry in the monthly bug thread)

Message 7 of 12
(3,174 Views)

Altenbach,

Do you happen to have the report ID for the crash report? if not, would it be too much trouble to send one more report in and let us know that ID?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,155 Views)

(Sorry, posting by phone)

I did two reports a few minutes apart. They have my email and in the second I added a comment pointing to this thread.

I can get the ID later.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,149 Views)

IDs:

0f57d6e6-62bb-451c-a7b8-2bd7eb1d039c

70b99b2f-61d1-49b0-84be-02bf67240fdd

Message 10 of 12
(3,135 Views)