LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW RunTime Engine won't install

Solved!
Go to solution

I have downloaded both the LabVIEW 8.0 and 2009 RunTime Engines as well as the NI-DAQmx driver onto a thumb drive.  I transferred it to an off-network Windows 7 PC.  From there I have tried to run all engines/drivers and nothing happens.  They all ask for permission to make changes (which I grant, and yes I have administrator privileges) and the command prompt quickly flashes on the screen.  No gui installer or anything.  Thinking this may just be how these work, I have tried to run several LabVIEW *.exe programs that were built on either 8.0 or 2009.  I have checked the OS architecture and there are no issues there either.  Any idea why these engines/driver are refusing to install?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(4,874 Views)

According to this chart, LabVIEW 2009 SP1 is the first version certified for Windows 7.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(4,846 Views)

Even if not "certified", these versions should still install and often still work. Would be curious to see if there is a problem with the computer.  What happens if you e.g. try to install the newest LabVIEW run time engine? Does that work?

Some things to try:

• Try a different flash drive (Scan it (and the HD) for errors)
  • Do an AV scan
  • Disable AV an other security software
  • Reboot the computer. Sometimes installers will refuse because another installation is ongoing (e.g. something behind the scenes, such as a windows update). You should get an alert, but it might take a long time.
  • How long did you wait. Maybe things are just really slow.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(4,838 Views)

Have you checked the Windows Event Log to see if anything is listed there?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(4,821 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(4,816 Views)

@bjenkins wrote:

They all ask for permission to make changes (which I grant, and yes I have administrator privileges) and the command prompt quickly flashes on the screen.  

Having admin rights is not the same as running the installer as administrator. Starting from Window 7, the admin right management really changed (you actually need elevated privileges). Google for instance "administator rights vs run as administrator". The prove is that even if you're admin, it will still ask to acknowledge these rights. Have you tried right-clicking the installer, and then run it as administrator (even if you have those rights)? Some processes in the installer might be nice and provide a popup, some might simply fail without notice...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(4,804 Views)

wiebe@CARYA

I should have specified, but yes I am running as an administrator.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(4,802 Views)

Bob -

Is there a solution following the comment?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(4,799 Views)

altenbach -

There is no security software on the PC.  However, per my company's requirements, we have security software on the USB.  Do you think this may be an issue even though I'm moving the RTE before trying to install?

I have rebooted.  No-go.

I gave it an hour.  There is no doubt it is very slow, but it should have done something by that point I would assume.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(4,796 Views)

tyk007 -

Nothing has been logged.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(4,788 Views)