From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Object-Oriented Programming: R&D Technical White Paper (LV8.2)

LabVIEW Object-Oriented Programming:

The Decisions Behind the Design

A white paper from LabVIEW R&D

LabVIEW: A piece of software celebrating its 20th birthday this year. Is it a design tool? Is it a programming language? It is both, and because it is both it has been a major boon to scientists and engineers who need to program the computer without getting the computer scientists involved. Whenever we, the LabVIEW developers, want to add new features, we must consider that the majority of our customers are not programmers. In version 8.2, we are introducing LabVIEW Object-Oriented Programming (LabVOOP). Object orientation (OO) is a programming style full of abstract concepts and technical vocabulary. Most explanations of it require either an intimate knowledge of programming or a long learning curve. We aimed to streamline that complexity with the goal of making the power of OO accessible to a wide range of our users. The result may surprise OO proponents familiar with other programming languages. This paper lays out the design decisions and the reasoning behind those decisions as we created LabVOOP.

This paper assumes some familiarity with LabVOOP. You might consider reviewing the relevant sections of the LabVIEW Help and the example programs before continuing.

Message 1 of 16
(8,084 Views)
Woh...
20 Stars Smiley Happy

PS: Not all like MS.Docs .... maybe PDF?

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 2 of 16
(8,062 Views)
Hello Aristos,

Good paper, very explanatory and documenting. I think this should be shipped with LabVIEW!!

It explains fairly deep which choices were made and the implecations.

I have one question: why is chosen for the name LabVOOP, it looks like NI wants to forget it has a programming language (G)?

Thanks,

Ton
Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(8,028 Views)
Oopview sounds better..

Regards,

Wiebe.
"TonP" <x@no.email> wrote in message news:1155060608161-401730@exchange.ni.com...
Hello Aristos, Good paper, very explanatory and documenting. I think this should be shipped with LabVIEW!!It explains fairly deep which choices were made and the implecations.I have one question: why is chosen for the name LabVOOP, it looks like NI wants to forget it has a programming language (G)?Thanks,Ton
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(7,921 Views)
The name of the feature is "LabVIEW Object-Oriented Programming." That's an attempt to *not* make it a separate language. But do you have a better acronym? At least LabVOOP is pronouncable. Besides.... it inherits from LabVIEW, and the "IEW" is encapsulated. 😉

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(7,853 Views)
Not flaming,

but it sounds like a marketing name, what is wrong with the good old GOOP (G Object Oriented Programming). Because (IMHO/knowledge) LabVIEW is a program to interface with G. Or is G on senior relief as a twenty year old?Smiley Very Happy

Ton
Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
Message 7 of 16
(7,844 Views)
Jonnie 5 - Thanks for the PDF!!!

Out of curiosity, what's the syntax for defining a dynamically-dispatched VI?

G, I've been LOOPing for years! Smiley Wink 
Of course some people have trouble applying the concepts; their programs are kinda' LOOPy (LOOP-like.) Smiley Tongue
:

"Inside every large program is a small program struggling to get out." (attributed to Tony Hoare)
Message 8 of 16
(7,778 Views)
For one thing, GOOP is trademarked by another company. NI can't use it. Further, the GOOP Toolkit continues to exist (and, indeed, Endevo will continue releasing new versions even after LabVOOP release). LabVOOP and GOOP Toolkit are not competitors directly -- they work well with each other and are used for different cases in LabVIEW programming. So using the same name would be a disadvantage to both.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(7,727 Views)
Since it is not a new language, it doesn't need a new name.

Perhaps in the same line as c? LabVIEW++?

Regards,

Wiebe.
"Aristos Queue" <x@no.email> wrote in message news:1155233412458-402771@exchange.ni.com...
The name of the feature is "LabVIEW Object-Oriented Programming."
That's an attempt to *not* make it a separate language. But do you have
a better acronym? At least LabVOOP is pronouncable. Besides.... it
inherits from LabVIEW, and the "IEW" is encapsulated. 😉
&nbsp;
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(7,717 Views)