cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW FPGA: Deploy fpga with host program

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello folks,

I am developing using a pxi-7831R (FPGA) card, LabVIEW 7.1, and Labview FPGA 1.1.0.  I have written the fpga code and a host vi and they work well on on my development computer.  However, I need to create an executable and take it from my development computer to another computer (which also contains a pxi-7831R), and I'm not sure how to do it.

Do I just build an executable of my host program and put the fpga "bit" file in the same folder as the exe and copy it to the target computer, or do I have to somehow add the bit file to my build configuration?

Thanks for any help!

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,224 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author chassan

Hi chassan,

In LabVIEW 8.x, the exe will bundle the bitfile automatically.  I would imagine this works the same in LabVIEW 7, but it's probably best if you manually bundle the bitfile in your build options. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,202 Views)

Kyle S,

Thanks.  Based on the information you provided, I successfully built an executable of an FPGA program with a host vi on a development computer and then ran it on a production computer. 

If anyone is interested, these are the steps to follow:

1. create and compile an fpga program

2. create a host vi

3. Add the contents of the directory which contains the compiled fpga code to the build options for the host vi per the following: In the build options for the host vi, go to the "Source Files" tab, and click the dropdown arrow next to the "Add Support File..." option and select "Add Directory Contents..." and navigate to the directory in which the compiled fpga code exists.

4. build the host vi executable.  This creates an .exe file and a "Data" directory.

5. Copy the .exe and the "Data" directory to whatever computer you wish to run it on and run the .exe.

Best Regards,

Chris    

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,182 Views)

hi,

i want to know how to use fpga program in labview... i'm new fpga program.. 

im using labview 7.0...  can you guide to learn about fpga program in labview.. its any toolkit for fpga program to use in labview 7.0....

thank you in advance....

Regards,
N. Srinivasan
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,055 Views)