From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Toolkits for old LV Versions

Hi All,

I have a PC with many versions of LabVIEW installed from 7.1 to 2009. I want to install RT, DSC, and DAQmx for LabVIEW 7.1, but I am having some problems. Except for DSC, I already have these toolkits installed for more recent versions of LabVIEW. When I start the DSC installation, a splash screen comes up saying initializing installer, then the attached error message is generated. Similar errors are generated when I try to install RT and DAQmx. I have seen this problem before and I know that it has something to do with installing toolkits to old verions of LabVIEW.

NI has directed me to http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/58BE852CB35237C786256A290079DF39 for assistance, but this doesn't help because I do not get far enough into the installation to select a path to install to.

Does anyone know how I can get these addons installed to my old version of LabVIEW without having to uninstall all NI Software first?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,728 Views)

Hi,

The problem is that DSC, RT and DAQmx are not Toolkits. LV DSC and RT are Modules, and DAQmx is a driver. There can only be one DAQmx on a system, but you can have different Modules to your Versions. There are also some Modules which can be installed for more then one LabVIEW Version, like the Vision Development Module 2009 which supports LV 8.6.x as well as LV 2009.

Due to the hughe span of different LV Version you have on one system I would setup everything I really need again from the scratch on to get sure it works without problems. But that's just my opinion.

Christian

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,634 Views)

Some of us are using virtual machines in order to have a 'clean' matched copy of LabVIEW versions installed.  Each VM has its own version of LabVIEW complete with the matched drivers and toolkits. 

There is some cost involved (beefy harddrive and memory plus the cost of the vmware), but it makes it much easier to maintain different versions without worrying about version conflicts.

Nothing is perfect, but this works well for us.

Paul
Message 3 of 4
(2,623 Views)

I like PJS' post!

Virtual Machines is a "quite" good solution if you are using more then two different LabVIEW Version or you want to use the same version with different localized distributions. But you need lots of memory.

Christian

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,621 Views)