LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Crashes When Selecting "Why is this item in Dependencies?"

When I see an item in Dependencies that I think shouldn't be there, and I right-click on it and select " "Why is this item in Dependencies?", in most cases LV crashes (v 2018, 2019, 2020).  Is there any workaround that will allow me to find out why items are in Dependencies?

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(963 Views)

I guess that is LabVIEW's way of saying, "I have no idea."

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(954 Views)

Is this on:

• One particular item in a project
  • Every item in one particular project
  • Every item in every project
  • One PC or many PCs at your company

I can tell you that on my system running LabVIEW 2018 SP1 I have never had it crash while using that feature and I use it fairly often.

Also, do you get a crash report in "<User>\Documents\LabVIEW Data\LVInternalReports\LabVIEW\<LabVIEW Version>\"?  If so, do the text files in it have anything vaguely meaningful?  I would hope that it might point to a particular bit of an install that you use that maybe isn't super common, since installing the 2020 version of a LabVIEW support program (i.e. DAQmx, NI-VISA, etc.) is the only think I can think of that the 3 different versions might have in common apart from your particular code.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(923 Views)

@Kyle97330 wrote:

Is this on:

• One particular item in a project
  • Every item in one particular project
  • Every item in every project
  • One PC or many PCs at your company

I can tell you that on my system running LabVIEW 2018 SP1 I have never had it crash while using that feature and I use it fairly often.

Also, do you get a crash report in "<User>\Documents\LabVIEW Data\LVInternalReports\LabVIEW\<LabVIEW Version>\"?  If so, do the text files in it have anything vaguely meaningful?  I would hope that it might point to a particular bit of an install that you use that maybe isn't super common, since installing the 2020 version of a LabVIEW support program (i.e. DAQmx, NI-VISA, etc.) is the only think I can think of that the 3 different versions might have in common apart from your particular code.

• Some items in some projects (usually only the items I'm interested in).
  • Any PC
  • Any version of LV.

Those files in LVInternalReports\LabVIEW aren't text files.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(914 Views)

@paul_cardinale wrote:

Those files in LVInternalReports\LabVIEW aren't text files.

After going into the "Version" directory, you then get a directory with a bunch of other directories whose names are random GUID strings, then you open those up and sometimes you just get a bunch of "DMP" files, which at best might be meaningful to an NI employee with a debugger. 

Other times, there might be a ZIP file in there named the same as the directory it's in, and then inside the or the directory you can sometimes get a file called "lvlog.txt" which does contain readable information.  

For instance, here's something I saw in a log not too long ago:

<DEBUG_OUTPUT>
4/12/2021 11:45:40.826 AM
DWarn 0x613A5C04: Fatal insanity (0x00000002) detected in'freaky.vi: Main Application Instance'
e:\builds\penguin\labview\branches\2018\dev\source\panel\fpsane.cpp(1150) : DWarn 0x613A5C04: Fatal insanity (0x00000002) detected in'freaky.vi: Main Application Instance'
minidump id: fbc35f84-4747-49d8-ae07-ec7a55fb1c49
$Id: //labview/branches/2018/dev/source/panel/fpsane.cpp#2 $

</DEBUG_OUTPUT>

This was when I was messing about with the VI you posted a few weeks back, so it's kinda meaningful...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(906 Views)