LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2019 SP1 on Ubuntu Linux 18.04

Solved!
Go to solution

I have  a licensed copy of LabVIEW 2019 SP1. Whether we can install this on Ubuntu Linux 18.04 . If yes, Please provide the installation steps. Also I would like to know whether the licensed version of LabVIEW is different for Windows and Ubuntu.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(846 Views)

NI only started supporting Ubuntu installations with LabVIEW 2021SP1 as you can see in this chart.

https://www.ni.com/nl-nl/support/documentation/compatibility/20/labview-and-linux-os-compatibility.h...

I did install older versions of LabVIEW 7.1, 2009SP1 in older versions of Ubunty (12, 14) and it is possible but not trivial as you need to convert the provided RPM installer image into a DEB one and then often also install some extra support libraries from the Ubuntu servers to provide the necessary functions used in some of the installer scripts. I have however no experience with more recent LabVIEW versions and Ubuntu 16 and higher.

However each version of LabVIEW is potentially slightly different and each version of Ubuntu definitely, so there is no single recipe that will work.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(811 Views)

Thank you Rolf. So I have to upgrade my LabVIEW to 2021 SP1.

Don't know whether it's possible to upgrade rather than to buy a

fresh version of 2021 SP1.

If you have any information on this, please share.

Thanks for your valuable time and information.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(787 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JosephAlex

With the demise of LabVIEW perpetual licenses and the introduction of LabVIEW subscriptions begin of this year, there doesn't exist something like an upgrade anymore. When you buy a subscription you gain for the duration of that subscription access to the current LabVIEW version and earlier versions. Once the subscription ends, LabVIEW will not startup anymore. There is going to be some change in the future that you will at least get the option to startup some version of LabVIEW to be able to look at your existing VIs and maybe even run them. But saving and/or building of executables will be disabled in some ways without a valid subscription license.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(772 Views)

OK. Thank you so much.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(756 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

With the demise of LabVIEW perpetual licenses and the introduction of LabVIEW subscriptions begin of this year, there doesn't exist something like an upgrade anymore. When you buy a subscription you gain for the duration of that subscription access to the current LabVIEW version and earlier versions. Once the subscription ends, LabVIEW will not startup anymore. There is going to be some change in the future that you will at least get the option to startup some version of LabVIEW to be able to look at your existing VIs and maybe even run them. But saving and/or building of executables will be disabled in some ways without a valid subscription license.

I guess we should've seen this coming when LabVIEW Community Edition came with a subscription license.  We were being used as guinea pigs to work out the kinks before they went live with it.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(739 Views)