LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2012 runs processor up

Thanks for the feedback guys, I have filed CAR 387557 to our R&D department documenting this issue.

As far as I can tell this happens when you leave the LabVIEW 2012 front page open for a day...

Regards,

Craig H. | CLA CTA CLED | Applications Engineer | NI Employee 2012-2023
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 28
(886 Views)

Upon further investigation, it looks like it only happens when I come out of a hibernate with the application open prior to the hibernate.

If I start the PC up fresh (from a cold boot, I mean), everything is fine.

I am using LabVIEW 2012 (12.0f3) with O/S = WinXP pro Version 2002 Service Pack 3 on a Dell Latitude E6400 laptop with P8700 dual core processor (2.53GHz) with 3.5GB RAM.

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 28
(856 Views)

I have experienced the same thing. 

Here's an additional tidbit : If I open the file dialog (i.e. like I'm going to open a .vi), the CPU goes back to 0%.  If I cancel that dialog, bang, I'm back up to using 100% of 1 CPU.

-D

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 28
(794 Views)

I also see this issue, and it does not seem to depend on the presence of the LV development environment.

I built an application installer with a single VI and installed it on a computer which has the LV 2012 RunTime Engine.  If I open the application (which does not automatically run the VI), and leave it open for a while I see the CPU usage go up to 100%.  Oddly I can reduce the CPU usage by using the mouse to drag the window around the screen.   The VI has a chart on the FP.  My belief is that the chart update code has something to do with it. (Not the VI, but whatever internal code keeps the screen image updated whether or not the VI is running.).

I see this issue with the VI running and also without the VI running.

I see this issue on my development computer (LV2012, Win7-32bit, Dell Vostro 220s) and on my deployment computer (LV2012 Runtime engine, Win7-32bit, SuperLogics with Intel Pentium G950)

restarting labview and/or restarting the application.exe fixes it temporarily.  Issue repeats when the computer is unattended for times as short as 30 minutes.

Martin 

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 28
(770 Views)

Hello everyone,

Any additional specific information about what you are doing will be helpful for me to reproduce the more specific cases. A few questions

Has anyone seen this behavior in 2012 SP1?

mjaspan, can you send me the simple application you built which demonstrates this in a built application (as well as steps to reproduce)?

Thanks, 

Jeff Peacock 

Product Support Engineer | LabVIEW R&D | National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 28
(631 Views)

It seems I can make it happen more repeatedly if I put my laptop into hibernation while LabVIEW is opened/running & then wake it back up (WinXP SP3).

I have not checked if it does this with a Windows 7 PC yet.

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 28
(628 Views)

Hi Mattl,

Thanks for the additional information. What kind of frequency do you see this behavior at? If you hibernate your computer and bring it back, approximately what % of the time would you estimate you see this?

Jeff Peacock 

Product Support Engineer | LabVIEW R&D | National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 28
(616 Views)

Since the new update the problem has disappeared. (Developer Suite 2013 DS1).

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 28
(601 Views)