From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2010 slow vi save performance

Hi Adam,

No, just a singel VI - I delete an Object let's say a Button or I do some new wireing (new connections not just moving them arround) and with the next save or Strg-S I have to wait...

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 72
(1,748 Views)

Yes, saving a single (top-level) VI. Not a save all.

I'll email the top-level VI.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 72
(1,730 Views)

Check out the first chapter of of this sweet video NI releases every couple years. Its pretty helpful.

http://zone.ni.com/wv/app/doc/p/id/wv-157

---------------------------------
[will work for kudos]
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 72
(1,703 Views)

Everyone wants their code to run faster and more efficently. We are glad the compiler is continuously being optimized. However, if optimized compiles are taking a while, this should be re-thought. The only people that don't "save their work often" are people that like re-doing work because they lost code changes. I think you are right that a lot of it has to do with the power of the computer as well. NI needs to raise the minimum requirements listed for Labview. At least list recommended specs.

The listed minimum requirements for Labview are so low that it would take twice as long to do anything in labview with a computer like that. In your testing of the new compiler changes, did you do all your testing on a machine with your minimum requirements? You should. Be sure to run the FPGA compiler every few days as well, to really experience it. Its tough to write a business justification for a good development machine when I have to fight with my superiors every time because the company looks at the minimum requirements of labview and then tell me I dont need a computer with a good processor and a lot of ram because "look at how low the requirements are for labview, right on their website."

I also agree that save time is not the time to run an optimized compile. Perhaps the timing could be rethought. Like when it needs to be run, then an optimized compile save would be necessary.

---------------------------------
[will work for kudos]
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 72
(1,694 Views)

Dear Adam,

did you receive the downlaod link I mailed you last friday for the slow saving prioject?

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 72
(1,631 Views)

Dear Adam,

did you receive the downlaod link I mailed you last friday for the slow saving project?

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 72
(1,632 Views)

Hello,

Having LV2010, i test your Save Vi test with a P4 3.4Ghz, 2Go Ram.

When i suppress one button + the associate event,

Its takes 3 seconds to save and make the compilation check.

Nicolas

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 72
(1,622 Views)

I posted my suggestion to resolve this in the Idea Exchange. Adam has now seen the issue first hand from a number of users, so let's hope this can be improved in SP1.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Postpone-compiler-optimizations-until-a-run-or-build/i...

Regards to all.

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 72
(1,604 Views)

Yes, Rainer, I got your VI. I replied to your email yesterday, so if you didn't get that then maybe check your spam folder.

Thanks again to everyone for helping us try to diagnose these issues. I can't promise any timeline on a fix, but we are looking into it.

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 72
(1,574 Views)

We received reports that some of our users with certain very large VIs are experiencing performance issues in LabVIEW 2010. Specifically, the problems revolve around compiling large applications, which can surface when you hit the run button or save your VI. Our initial assessment is that these slowdowns may be caused by the new compiler technology introduced in LabVIEW 2010, which delivered an average of 20% run-time performance with a small compile-time performance hit. We are now actively and aggressively investigating these customer-reported issues to get to the bottom of the problem.

We are very focused on this issue. Quality, performance, and stability of the LabVIEW platform is our #1 focus and will continue to be so for the next few releases, so we feel it is very important to alert the user community that we've heard your concerns and have a team actively working on them. We will continue to update you as we learn more about this issue and potential workarounds. If you have experienced similar compile slowdowns in LabVIEW 2010 when hitting the run arrow or saving your VIs, please let us know on this forum.

John Pasquarette

Vice President, Software Marketing, National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 72
(1,511 Views)