From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV2012 on a Mini PC - Possible ??

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to load and run a EXE developed on LV2012 on a Kangaroo mini PC. I need a highly portable PC fixed on a moving trolley and powered by batteries. ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883722001&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Ju...

The specs of the Mini PC are here :

Kangaroo Mini PC.PNG

The application is not very hardwaree intense and use only a handful of low speed digital I/Os ( maximum upto 50 Hz ) but requires some active file management. Otherwise the job is well suited for a microcontroller like the Arduino.

I am aware of the limitations on storage on this mini PC but all i need besides the WIN-10 OS is about 2GB for the LV applicatioon and data. And this PC will NOT run any other application. 

Possible ? Anyone try out similar thing with a minim PC ?

Raghunathan
LabVIEW to Automate Hydraulic Test rigs.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(4,547 Views)

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Can-my-pc-run-labview/m-p/3255796/highlight/true#M949231

Edit: You can see some discussions above regarding to this platform.

Myself I never tried LabVIEW Runtime Engine + EXE built from LabVIEW project on such miniPC, but I guess you can give it a try. The other question is the interface. What kind of DAQ you want to use? How can you connect to this miniPC? USB? Is this built-in USB will support the DAQ hardware? So there are several questions... 

I think if you seek a very cheap solution, you could try the new Raspberry Pi 2 for data acqusition. There is a new product coming soon so you will be able to build LabVIEW directly for Rapsberry, and I guess there is option to save data to USB stick...?

https://www.tsxperts.com/?wysija-page=1&controller=email&action=view&email_id=35&wysijap=subscriptio...

Another option to search in the field of Real Time products, like NI-myRIO (you can power it with battery too i think).

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(4,537 Views)

Thanks Blokk

I am feeling more confident after reading the response and linked discussions.

More so after reading Altenbach's trials. Yes I think it will be possible to do this. I am not going to develop the app on the Mini. Its just the run time plus my EXE.

Hardware interface ? I am planning a different approach. I will have a Arduino grab all sensor data / human interface switch details and pass it as a single pre-formatted string via the USB say at 20Hz rate. My LV code will parse this string , get the data what it wants and do what is required in line with that. This way i dont need even DAQMx.

What do you think ??

Raghunathan
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(4,528 Views)

I guess it can work, yes. And there are many other possible configurations too...

edit: What about the miniPC part? Will you need a monitor there, or only want a headless system? You could even try some RealTime OS to install on this miniPc I think, which supports LV RT. So you would have a headless RT OS running on the miniPC without keyboard, monitor, etc. Besides, the miniPC would broadcast the data acquired from the Arduino via WIFI (webserver to access data so you can even use your smart phone to monitor)... But I have never tried such config...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(4,524 Views)

@MogaRaghu wrote:

More so after reading Altenbach's trials. Yes I think it will be possible to do this. I am not going to develop the app on the Mini. Its just the run time plus my EXE.

Just make sure you test on the deployment PC throughout your development. The last thing you want to happen is to run your exe for the first time after development and realize that the CPU just sits at 100%.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(4,517 Views)

You'll also want to be aware LV 2012 and Win10 aren't the best possible mix.  They may work.  But, you're in untested waters doing so.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,500 Views)

Thanks for the warning... buit i have completed two full projects with the Lv12 + WIN10 combo. So far so good.

Raghunathan
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,495 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

I think if you seek a very cheap solution, you could try the new Raspberry Pi 2 for data acqusition. There is a new product coming soon so you will be able to build LabVIEW directly for Rapsberry, and I guess there is option to save data to USB stick...? 

Actually an NI products exists today to deploy to a Raspberry Pi.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/LINX-3-0-LabVIEW-for-BeagleBone-Black-and-Raspberry-Pi-2-3/td-p/3278...

But it sounds like these mini PCs are suitable for some very basic embedded applications, which is awesome.  But if that doesn't work the MyRIO is proabaly overkill but would work as well.  Running RT Linux means you can use many of the packages Linux does for doing operations.

Message 8 of 12
(4,433 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MogaRaghu

Your little Atom box should have no problems running LabVIEW exe's.

I am running LabVIEW 2015 complied EXE with LV-Runtime on a 1.2Ghz P3, 256Meg of RAM, and Windows XP.

Other than having to disable SSE optimizations when I compile I have no issues running on this machine.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 9 of 12
(4,409 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

Your little Atom box should have no problems running LabVIEW exe's.

I am running LabVIEW 2015 complied EXE with LV-Runtime on a 1.2Ghz P3, 256Meg of RAM, and Windows XP.

Other than having to disable SSE optimizations when I compile I have no issues running on this machine.

The exact kind of real time feedback that i needed ! Thanks.

Raghunathan
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,387 Views)