LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyboard Wedge Help

Hello all,

I'm trying to design a keyboard wedge via Labview that will read a device and place it's contents into a application like Excel, Access, or Word much like the MicroRidge Wedgelink program does now (we purchased over 6 years ago). Recently, our PCs are being upgraded from XP to Windows 7. In the Windows 7 enviorment, this won't work. I contacted Microridge & they stated to try some security changes do due to Vista/Windows 7 compatibilty but our I.S. department has said no to those changes, so I am developing a keyboard wedge of my own. The file is below (LV 2010).

I've hit a roadblock and need some ideas. How do I determine what file is selected and to place it's contents in the active cell or where the cursor is? Also, I'd like to be able to have the user select a device and a input and grab the correct configuration. Is the table I have in the VI going to let me do that?

Need some ideas. Thanks.

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,908 Views)

Hi Eric,

The functionality that you are describing should be doable through property nodes if I understand you correctly. The Active Cell node can be used to specify where you want to place the contents in the table. I am not really familiar with the Wedgelink program, so could you describe exactly what you are trying to do? Is it like a serial capture program that exports data directly to excel?

Cheers!

TJ G
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,879 Views)

TJ,

You are correct, it is a serial capture program but can dump the data into any program. The Wedgelink program from MicroRidge is a program that takes a reading from a serial/usb device and places this into a program that the user selects. For example, a item is placed on a scale and it's contacts weigh 2.4 grams. What the Wedgelink program does is it grabs this value and places this into any program that the user selects whether the program is Excel, Word, a EXE program, etc. I am trying to do the exact same thing, but place it's contents into Excel which almost all users use the program for.

Hope I've made a little more sense!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,865 Views)

Eric,

I don't know if you're interested, but I decided to start developing something similar. I may turn it into a community example or something like that eventually, but if you would like, you might get some ideas from this (its how I would implement it). The functionality is not nearly complete, but it may be close to something that you are looking for architecturally.

Cheers!

TJ G
Message 4 of 15
(3,841 Views)

TJ,

I'll use your example and build off of that. Thank you!

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,829 Views)

TJ,

I've ran into a roadblock on my devices. I have Mitutoyo multiplexers that have multiple inputs on the device itself. How do I code for that? Do I just loop through all the inputs until I find one that returns a value? I'm a little lost. I apologize for my ignorance.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,819 Views)

Eric,

Hmm, I don't know anything about the Mitutoyo MUXs. I think you would have to know which device you want to speak to. Can you select programatically from LabVIEW? How would you change devices in order to loop through? If you can do that, then I would create a hidden FP control (only visible when the Mitutoyo device is selected) and have the user select which port they want to speak on. Other than actually trying to ID each device on the Mitutoyo, I can't think of a good way to auto-select the device.

Cheers!

TJ G
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(3,805 Views)

I've almost got my program up and running although I am stuck on one area.

In Excel, I'd like to have the cell move via the Advanced - Editing Options in Excel (my version is 2010) where the cell goes up, down, left, or right when the Enter Key is pressed based on the selection. I'd like to duplicate this behavior but I can't replicate sending a carrige return to Excel via Labview. Have you done anything like this before? I'd like to stay away from the offset property, but if I have to use it, I will.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,789 Views)

Hi Eric,

How are you communicating between LabVIEW and Excel? ActiveX controls?

Cheers!

TJ G
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(3,769 Views)

Yes, I am. I am in the process of testing my project; inital testing looks promising. Minded, my code isn't the cleanest ever written, but it works.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(3,767 Views)