cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just openning LabVIEW & causing 99% CPU usuage

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi folks,

I just opened LabVIEW 8.2.1 and after it finishes its initalization, while on the Getting Started screen LabVIEW is using 99% of CPU.

I tried restarting & repairing the installation but to no avail. Anybody encountered this problem?

Thanks in Advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(3,207 Views)
Is it the LabVIEW process itself that's causing the CPU utilization, or is it one of the services that gets installed with LabVIEW?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21
(3,190 Views)

smercurio_fc wrote:
Is it the LabVIEW process itself that's causing the CPU utilization, or is it one of the services that gets installed with LabVIEW?

Good question.

If it ends being eaten up by NIPAL.... and you have LV 6.1 on that machine then you may be seeing what I saw and forced me to remove the LV 6.1 install.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(3,185 Views)

labVexpert2b wrote:

...while on the Getting Started screen LabVIEW is using 99% of CPU.

Does everything still work? 

Is the 99% CPU only for some time duration or forever? How long did you wait?

What happens if you open a VI directly? Does the CPU drop?

What happens if you close the last open VI to go to the welcome screen? Back to 99% CPU?

Did the problem start right after installing 8.2.1 or did it actually work until recently?

Is this a local or network installation?

Do you run any kind of firewall software?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21
(3,179 Views)

I've been working with LabVIEW 8.2.1 for more than a year on my laptop (local install) and it was working fine up until yesterday.

I noticed it that the LabVIEW process itself is what's causing 99% CPU usage with no VIs open at all.

I thought I just need to restart my PC and the problem should go away.

This morning after powering up my laptop & opening LabVIEW its still causing 99% CPU usage.

Mr. Altenbach, here are my responses to your questions:

Does everything still work? YES but obviously very slow.

Is the 99% CPU only for some time duration or forever? How long did you wait? It seems for ever, I've waited for about an hour.

What happens if you open a VI directly? Does the CPU drop? No changes.

What happens if you close the last open VI to go to the welcome screen? Back to 99% CPU? CPU usage never drops

Did the problem start right after installing 8.2.1 or did it actually work until recently? mentioned above

Is this a local or network installation? mentioned above

Do you run any kind of firewall software? N/A

Once again, thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
(3,164 Views)

labVexpert2b wrote:

I've been working with LabVIEW 8.2.1 for more than a year on my laptop (local install) and it was working fine up until yesterday.

What else happened yesterday? Did you install anything else or changed any configurations? Was there a windows update? Antivirus signature update?

Did you scan the HD for errors?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21
(3,153 Views)

Nothing happened yesterday, just working on my code which after the LabVIEW problem I was working on another machine with no problems.

I didn't scan my HD for errors yesterday but I did so right now and no problems to report!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(3,148 Views)

Did you mention if disconnecting the network made a difference?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(3,139 Views)
What network connection? I was working on LabVIEW that was installed on my laptop.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21
(3,136 Views)
Solution
Accepted by LVexpert2b
One thing to try: boot into safe mode. I believe LabVIEW should still work in safe mode, albeit no services will be running. I would be very interested in knowing if the CPU usage is still pegged.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21
(3,100 Views)