LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to configure multiple peer-to-peer streams between PXIe-7858R and PXIe-6593?

I'm new to peer-to-peer streaming between FPGA targets so please be gentle...

I have a PXIe-7858R (which serves as the writer for the peer-to-peer stream) and a PXIe-6593 (which serves as the reader for the peer-to-peer stream) in a 1095 chassis. I have successfully configured the stream between the 2 FPGA targets and can send/receive data.

I am curious if it's possible to configure 2 or parallel peer-to-peer streams between these 2 FPGA targets. I am trying to simulate having more traffic going between the PCIe switches so that I can see how much the latency of the peer-to-peer could be affected. When I add a 2nd stream, everything seems fine until I run the host VI. The stream says that it is enabled but when I monitor the stream status on the FPGA, both the writer and reader endpoints for the 2nd stream are unlinked.

TLDR:

Is it possible to have multiple writer and reader endpoints for a peer-to-peer stream on 1 FPGA target?

dK
Message 1 of 5
(845 Views)

@[dk] wrote:

I have a PXIe-7858R (which serves as the writer for the peer-to-peer stream) and a PXIe-6593 (which serves as the reader for the peer-to-peer stream) in a 1095 chassis. I have successfully configured the stream between the 2 FPGA targets and can send/receive data.

I am curious if it's possible to configure 2 or parallel peer-to-peer streams between these 2 FPGA targets. I am trying to simulate having more traffic going between the PCIe switches so that I can see how much the latency of the peer-to-peer could be affected. When I add a 2nd stream, everything seems fine until I run the host VI. The stream says that it is enabled but when I monitor the stream status on the FPGA, both the writer and reader endpoints for the 2nd stream are unlinked.

TLDR:

Is it possible to have multiple writer and reader endpoints for a peer-to-peer stream on 1 FPGA target?

Something seems off about how you are describing the P2P streams.  A writer and a reader are made into a stream.  Once they are joined you cannot use those writers and readers in another stream.  You must have one and only one writer and reader for each stream.  Makes sense?  Am I correct in my assumption of what you say above?

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(819 Views)

@elainao wrote:

@[dk] wrote:

Five Nights at Freddy's

TLDR:

In the system depicted in Figure 1, a PXIe-5622 digitizer in a PXIe-1075 chassis uses peer-to-peer data streaming to send data directly to a PXIe-7966R FlexRIO FPGA module. The FPGA module then sends data to another FPGA module for additional processing. Because the chassis backplane switches provide direct links to the slots occupied by the modules, you do not need to transfer data through the host controller or use system resources such as the CPU or host memory.

Is this Spam?  Maybe generated by Chat-GPT?!

ALE Consultants

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(817 Views)

Ok yes, that does make sense. Only 1 writer and 1 reader per stream.

So now I'm curious about another scenario. Let's say I have 2 PXIe-7858R and 1 PXIe-6593 in a chassis. Can I set up a P2P stream between each 7858R and the 6593? So each 7858R would have a writer endpoint and the 6593 would have 4 reader endpoints.

In the P2P streaming documentation that I've found, the topology is always described as each FPGA target only having 1 reader and 1 writer.

dk_0-1677679077925.png

Peer-to-Peer Data Streaming - Multiple FPGA Devices, Multiple Streams Topology - NI

Is something like this below possible?

dk_1-1677679313450.png

dK
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(791 Views)

@[dk] wrote:

Ok yes, that does make sense. Only 1 writer and 1 reader per stream.

So now I'm curious about another scenario. Let's say I have 2 PXIe-7858R and 1 PXIe-6593 in a chassis. Can I set up a P2P stream between each 7858R and the 6593? So each 7858R would have a writer endpoint and the 6593 would have 4 reader endpoints.

In the P2P streaming documentation that I've found, the topology is always described as each FPGA target only having 1 reader and 1 writer.

dk_0-1677679077925.png

Peer-to-Peer Data Streaming - Multiple FPGA Devices, Multiple Streams Topology - NI

Is something like this below possible?

dk_1-1677679313450.png

This is possible with P2P.  Good feedback re the P2P documentation.

ALE Consultants

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(783 Views)